Saturday, August 17, 2024

Osteoporosis, Renaissance Festival, and my Dehydrator - A Busy Morning/Weekend

My bone density scan results came through yesterday afternoon. I suppose I should be depressed, but all I can do is keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best. I live in a house with stairs to everywhere. There's no way we could continue to live here if I couldn't get up and down the stairs. So I'd better not have any hip or large-leg bone fractures in my future. But, apparently I've lost 3.0% in my lumbar spine, 6.1% in my right hip and 6.8% in my left hip. The next paragraph in the report is headed FRACTURE RISK and states "The FRAX risk calculator is not applicable due to osteoporosis". Huh? So, apparently my BMD is consistent with osteoporosis and at increased fracture risk. I should be "treated". But the treatment requires breakdown of the bones in order to create new ones. Not always a great way to go about healing. 




Osteo in the spine is never a good sign, and my lumbar 
region is definitely affected. *sigh*



On that note, I'm just going to push this behind me until I chat with my Doctor. I just spent two years on osteo drugs, and she wants me off them for at least two years before putting me back onto the medication course. I can't disagree with her - those drugs are rather evil and frightening and I really don't want to be taking them. But ... yeah. 




I'm a swimmer. I absolutely HATE floor exercises. I may 
have to change my exercise routines or add Mondays and Fridays 
to my gym days so that I can use their equipment. I like 
the schedule I'm on, and I'm a swimmer! LOL 



I just posted my newest writing in our writing contest. I should have details for voting later today, so I'll hold off posting a request for votes until Monday. Tomorrow (Sunday) is our first day at the Renaissance Festival for this season. I'm looking forward to it, DH isn't. He doesn't have to go with me if he doesn't want to, but he'll force himself to go. I'll admit that it's been degrading for the past 5-6 years, and COVID didn't do it any favors either, but I love just being outdoors for a few hours mingling with friends from years back, and listening to music, looking at products for sale, and generally wandering. It makes me happy. So DH dresses in his peasant garb and we'll be at the front gates tomorrow morning ready to enter the town again after a long year away. 




Ren Fest changed their parking last year. It's a purchase plan 
for Fest Grounds parking (last year it was $30 on the day, 
$15 in advance, $13 for season ticket holders). This year they're 
only charging $15 for the general public (which will increase 
the number of people parking on grounds), but it's still $13 
for those of us who are season ticket holders. I have my parking 
pass already printed out and ready to be presented. 



I just pulled out the two season tickets and our parking pass for Fest and put them onto my desk. For that first Ren of the season, I'm often a bit scatterbrained. I DON'T need to be leaving this stuff behind when I live an hour away from the Fest grounds. LOL 


So, I'm signing off. I'm looking forward to reading some of the entries submitted for this session of LJ Idol later today, but right now I have to turn off the dehydrator and get my herbs and peppers put into appropriate containers. Have a great Saturday, I'll be back on Monday. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: