Saturday, August 24, 2024

It Was A Day of Housecleaning - A Picture Tour of My Home

I accomplished a lot yesterday, but really got stalled on DH's bathroom - the vortex of despair. I got Sharon's room all set up and her bed made, ready for her visit. It's hard to believe that we'll already be at our second day at the State Fair this time next week! WHOOT! Anyway ... I got her room ready. I dusted all of my dragons and vacuumed the hallway and DH's room. Then I steeled myself and went to clean the master bathroom. *sigh*




Sharon's room is ready and waiting for her. That's a 
Rachel Brown big wheel spinning wheel on the back left, 
Kaishin. The bed actually will need to be remade, I 
need to add the air matress. It's NOT a very comfortable 
bed, but it was all we could afford in our early days, and 
it's a great couch. 



Now, the master bathroom - i.e., the bathroom that attaches directly to the master bedroom - is DH's territory. I use the small guest bathroom 90% of the time, and the shower is in the lower bathroom. Yes ... there are three bathrooms in this house because of the multi-split level layout and the fact that the original owner was a medical doctor who did consultations in the lower area of the house - thus a bathroom for his patients was necessary, along with a waiting room (our den) and a consulting room (our computer room). But I digress. 




This is the Master Bathroom sink area (after cleaning). It 
was a disaster! I had to scrub the sinks, the counters and 
the cabinetry. But it's clean now, so I won't mind sharing 
it for a few days. Otherwise ... Ick! No! LOL




The flooring in the Master Bathroom is a turquoise 
tiling that is simply lovely in the sunshine. Again, 
it's old style - the house is from the early 1960's. 
If it breaks, it's irreplaceable these days. 



The master bathroom has a double sink vanity, a toilet and a tub/shower. We're both shower people, so we never use the tub/shower upstairs. It took me about an hour to do a thorough cleaning of the sinks and counters. The toilet was actually in fairly good shape, so call it another 15 minutes to give it a good solid scrub. Then the bathtub - Oy Veh! Two and one-half hours later I finally had a clean tub. Unbelievable! Filthy. *sigh* It was just dust and dirt, but it hadn't been touched in forever. Ick! I love this room, though (although I hate sharing it with DH who is a slob). It features a bright turquoise inlaid floor, with old-style turquoise sinks and a matching tub. The toilet is new, but it's white, so it doesn't compete with the color scheme. It's a beautiful room - when it's clean. It's now clean. 




The Master Bathroom tub matches the 
sinks and compliments the floor. The tiling also 
brings the turquoise into the room. To keep 
things from looking too dark, I have white 
semi-sheer drapes and a white shower curtain. 
The original owners had turquoise for those too, 
and the room was a bit oppressively dark. 



I'll be working on the living room and main floor bathroom (which I use except when Sharon visits) on Wednesday. That bathroom is damned close to pristine - I keep a clean bathroom at all times. That should go fairly quickly except for dusting the living room thoroughly. Then I'll tackle vacuuming the stairways and the lowest hallway and den carpets. I scrub the shower almost every time I'm in it, so it won't need any additional scrubbing, and I'll ignore the craft room and laundry room because they're fine, and they won't be used/visited while Sharon is living here for a few days. 




The living room is my favorite room of the house, with a 
high vaulted ceiling, lots of artwork, a fabulous Navajo 
weaving and lots of little things here and there. My small 
fountain can be seen on the left - two dragonflies and leaves 
above a copper bowl. It's a long room, with the curtains 
on the left covering a large three-panel picture window 
(which will cost us a FORTUNE to replace, I'm sure). 



I had a load of herbs in my dehydrator overnight - mostly rosemary. I adore rosemary, it's one of my favorite herbs, but it's so time consuming. After it's thoroughly dried, I have to pull the leaves off all of those interwoven stems. I set my alarm for 3:00 am instead of my usual 4:00 am Saturday time, just to get the rosemary leaves off their stems and collect the mixed hot peppers that I had dehydrating overnight. That's now complete, and the dehydrator is back in the cabinet where it belongs. Yesterday I did treat myself by ordering more mesh screens and catch basins for my dehydrator. I'm finding that I use those a lot and needed more than the two it came with. 




The final room you're only getting a small glimpse 
of because it's NOT clean or tidy. This is our 
computer room. DH's chair is straight ahead, mine 
is hidden to the right. The poster on the door features 
different breeds of dragons (yes - I'm a bit dragon 
crazy), and there's a lovely smaller Two-Grey Hills 
Navajo weaving on the wall. To the immediate right 
is the lower bathroom - a shower, sink and toilet only. 



So, that's all on the home front, and that's all I did - work on the home. It was a very intensive "day off", but I was quite happy with how things are starting to look by the end of the day. Sharon arrives on Friday, and I can hardly wait! State Fair, here we come! LOL Have an excellent weekend and Slava Ukraini. I'll be back on Monday. 



No comments: