Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Peppers and Belt Sanders - An Adventure in Texts

I've got my first load of the season in my little dehydrator. Two days ago I harvested the first peppers from the multitude of pepper varieties DH purchased for the garden this year. I currently have a Hot Banana, a Ristra Cayenne, a Jalapeno (fat and sassy), a Sweet Pepper and four Hot Peppers in my dehydrator. I dry them, put them through my mini food processor, and then into jars in my cupboard to use in my cooking for the coming year. It's like bringing a bit of July sunshine into my winter recipes, and I love it. 




A pepper similar to this - a Hot Banana Pepper 
is one of the five varieties currently in my 
little dehydrator getting dried for my soups 
and salads. Yummy! 



I've got to decide on a summer soup to make later today. I used up the last of last week's soup for yesterday's dinner, and need something for the upcoming week. Soup is always a winner, and I downloaded five different recipes to try a week ago. The first one was a grand success, I can't wait to try some of the other four I decided were worth the try. 




My Ristra Cayenne pepper is green, 
just like this photo. All the Ristra 
peppers I've known in the past have been 
red, though, so I'm a bit confused. I'll 
have to look this up and figure it out. 
Meanwhile, I've got one of these in the 
dehydrator too. 



So I'll actually have foodstuffs to get at the store today. Originally DH had been talking about having me work today while he did the fence, but the fact that it rained overnight and misted yesterday morning stopped that thought. We need that fence as dry as possible. The respirator arrived at the shop yesterday and I brought it home with me, so he's set on that. Oh! ... 



I think the belt sander looks similar to this, but 
it wasn't visible as I pulled into the garage. This 
is smaller than I envisioned, but it's probably more 
correct than the much larger version I had in 
my head. 


The latest DH "adventure" was the assembly of a belt sander that I had purchased for him more than a decade ago. I think he wants to use it to make the vegetable recycling bin, and yes, the belt sander would make it a lot faster than using the orbital sander. I'm grateful that I wasn't home. Here's the conversation on my phone: 

DH- Glad u not home, cursing up a storm trying to get my belt sander assembled after all these years. 

ME- So VERY glad I'm not home for that one. 

DH- Should never have gotten out of bed. Directions suck, I've lost parts, my headlamp is shot, and I don't dare use your flashlight the way today is going (I've threatened him with great bodily harm if he EVER uses my flashlight again - he's broken two of them and a good flashlight is hard to find.) 

ME- Probably wise to step back and have a soothing cup of tea. 

DH- I've been working in this for 4 freaking hours. Do you have a head lamp anywhere?

ME- No, my headlamp is tied into those eyeglasses I wear when I bead. Sorry. 

DH- I quit, you're gonna have to park in driveway for the next week. 

ME- Week!?!?! What the hell?!? I can if I have to, but really ... WTH???!!!

DH- I gonna have to wait til u get here and hopefully I can get this next part done. 

ME- OK. You need a second set of hands?

DH- I finally got light into it, but I can't get allen wrench to seat correctly, and when I do, it's up against the guard so I can't turn it. 

ME- That's a PITA. Is there a different type of wrench that might work? Maybe something used on cars?

DH- I think I finally got . Whoever engineered this outta be put out to pasture. What a stupic set up. 

ME- Only thing that matters is that it works. If I need to park outside for a couple of days, I'll manage. I swim tomorrow (Wednesday) and Friday and I'm off from work for three days in a row (jumping up and down for joy). I have lots of things to do, but not at the shop. 

DH- Now my lamp just fell on the floor and broke. 

ME- Shit! Really getting all the bad mojo! If it's the lamp, it's probably toast. If it's just the bulb, it's merely inconvenient. 

......

DH- Got it together finally. Gonna watch Vera and maybe eat whole container of ice cream. 


So ... quite the saga. Apparently he ended up putting it together, and disassembling it again at least five times because of dropped screws or other issues that cropped up. I think his headlamp is toast - but that's an easy thing to get at any hardware store. He says he knows where he wants to put it, it will take a bit of spring cleaning in the garage to clear that area, but it's actually a good place for it. 


So ... that was the long distance saga from yesterday. Me? I'm heading to the pool for a lovely outdoor swim on a perfect summer morning. Yesterday was a VERY cold in and out of the water, but the water itself was absolutely glorious, with a fabulous sunrise. These are the days that make my swim very worthwhile and enjoyable. Have an excellent Wednesday and I'll be back tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 

No comments: