Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Weather, Swimming Pools and Engineering - The Olympics are Coming Up Soon!

Yesterday started out rainy and cleared up around mid-day. Today we're looking opposite - a relatively nice morning followed by a very rainy afternoon. I'll have to remember to grab my raincoat to take to work with me. The percentages of having a wet time when I leave tonight is upward of 60%. 




They built two swimming pools inside the stadium. Here's 
a (Here's a Link) to the article about it - quite interesting. It's beautifully 
done, and must have cost a fortune. The engineering alone 
was world-class. 


I get to start out in the pool today, and really, the timing couldn't be better. Yesterday, it was hit or miss whether they would have the outdoor pool open. The weather was rather iffy, and they will always err on the side of caution when it comes to lightning and the outdoor pool. So it might have been an indoor swim for people yesterday. Today, I think the morning weather will be wonderful, so we'll have a nice, crowded outdoor pool today. I don't necessarily like crowded, but I do love the Olympic-sized pool. 




Here's what Lucas Stadium looks like for football 
games. Compare this to the next photo to get an idea 
of how amazing this construction really is! 



Over the weekend DH and I caught some of the Olympic qualifier swimming heats. They actually built two Olympic-sized swimming pools inside the football stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana. And the pools were BEAUTIFUL! It was an engineering feat I've never seen before, and having it in such a large venue meant they could have a large audience. I know they had more than 20,000 people watching on that first night. I have no idea of attendance afterward, but wow. Just WOW. Modern engineering at its' best. 




In an almost identical angle, look at the pool instead of the 
grass of football. The pool deck extends across the entire field, 
including the first 12 rows of lower seating. It extends the 
full length of the field with two pools, one for competition, 
and one half the length for practice and warm-up. What 
a fantastic engineering feat! 



DH is all "happy" again (I'm not sure he's EVER really happy, but he seems a bit more contented). His window is back and he's getting the light levels in the bedroom that he needs to awaken at the right time of the day. I'm just happy that the plywood is off the window. I didn't really like looking like a derelict house. It was a necessary fix, but getting the window reglazed was a high priority. Now if DH could just get a handle on the slugs in the garden. They're attacking flowers left and right, and he just can't seem to get ahead of them. *sigh* As the saying goes ... "It's always something!". Have a lovely Tuesday, I'm headed to the pool for a glorious outdoor swim. It won't get stormy today until noon, so it should be a very nice swim indeed. I'll be back tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: