Thursday, June 20, 2024

Good Solstice - Cars and Soup and a Light Fixture

Good Solstice to one and all. We are now officially into Summer, creeping our way towards Autumn and the State Fair. This weekend, however is the largest auto show in our area - the Annual Street Rod Association National Show - "Back to the 50's". We'll be seeing fabulous restored cars (and those which are in the process of being restored) driving past the shop for the next few days. The show starts today, but really kicks off on Friday and tears down Sunday afternoon. The State Fairgrounds will be packed with people showing off their cars or merely looking at all of the vintage autos. It's one of my favorite times of the year because I adore classic cars. DH, on the other hand, has no interest in autos at all. 




The cars have already started arriving for the 50th "Back 
to the 50's" annual car show. We'll be seeing beautifully 
restored classic cars driving past the store for the weekend, 
mostly starting tomorrow. It will snarl traffic, and driving 
on the main road that goes past my shop becomes almost 
impossible after dark for a couple of days. All of the cars 
leave the Fairgrounds and parade up and down the road. 



I remember that I had wanted to go into a class on Auto Mechanics my senior year of high school. That would place it in 1971-1972, so quite a while ago. My high school only allowed boys into their shop class, so I looked into Community Education programs. They did have some basic auto mechanics courses available, but they also wouldn't allow women into the classes. Although they took my name, address and phone number, I saw them put my card at the back of the file and knew it was wasted effort. There might have been a lot of negative things that have happened over the past 40+ years, but having those barriers fall down and women allowed into "male" industries is one of the good things that happened. 




I actually think I would have been very happy as an 
auto mechanic. I truly love cars, and would have really 
enjoyed working on them. But, that was considered an 
unacceptable career choice in the early 1970's, and ended 
up just being one of those dreams that never was realized. 



I actually think I would have been extremely happy as an auto mechanic. There's something in my that adores patterns and connections, and I'm patient with the little things. For instance, the new bulbs which I replaced into a living room lighting fixture are working ... somewhat. The original bulbs that burned out were fluorescent, and those are no longer made or used. So I replaced them with the appropriately sized bulbs, and they work. BUT ... they always seem to need me to climb onto my step stool and make a minor twist to the bulb each morning to get them lighted. It might be a ballast issue, but my online research on that is conflicting. Sure, I could change the ballast - that's easily done. But part of what I'm reading says that a ballast is no longer necessary for this type of light with the new LED bulbs. I'll have to do more research and figure out what I need to do. 




I'm really looking forward to this batch of 
fresh tomato soup. Although soup can be a 
great winter food, it's also perfect for summer. 
and this recipe, which needs lots of fresh 
veggies, is just perfect for our warmer months. 



I decided to make a summer soup yesterday. Actually, it's a soup that is lovely any time of the year, but I really love it in the summer. It's a tomato and red peppers soup. I added cooked rice to the finished soup, along with some fresh thyme and rosemary from my garden. I'm really looking forward to tasting it tonight. It's happily in containers in my refrigerator right now. So ... did you do anything fun on your Wednesday? I topped my day off by having a nice catch-up conversation with Aearwen - always one of the highlights of my week. So I'm looking at the day/week ahead with optimism. We'll see, though. I might be optimistic and looking forward to seeing classic cars, but reality can always come crashing through. LOL Have an excellent Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: