Thursday, June 27, 2024

A Weekend Ahead of Cleaning and Spraying and Final Thoughts on the NHL Season

The weekend plan is for DH to spray sealant on Laura's side of our fence on Saturday and Sunday. I'll apparently be helping, although what I'm specifically going to be doing is a mystery to me. I'll be starting out my contribution to the fence project tomorrow when I'll be doing a power wash of the bottom rail on Laura's side from the West through to the far East. Doing the power scrub won't be a problem, but getting the hose over might be an issue. Still, DH will have a similar issue getting electrical power for the spray painter when he's actually doing the painting. It'll be a weekend of hard work for both of us. 




I did warn Laura via text that DH would be spray painting 
the fence on their side on Saturday and Sunday. He's on his 
own for Saturday and I'll be helping him on Sunday. She 
offered him the use of electrical plugs from her patio if it 
would make things a bit easier. He might end up taking 
advantage of that ... or not. He's a stubborn old coot! 



It wasn't exactly the way I had planned to spend my Friday. Fridays are usually my "make Ogre Juice" day and sometimes a bit more cooking. Fortunately, I made a great new vegetable soup yesterday, and I can whip my Ogre Juice together in an hour - I've been doing it for long enough. So, it won't be horrid, as long as the hose cooperates. I don't want to snap any lillies or damage any other flowers getting the hose over to the fence. I wonder if Laura's hose is long enough? I might text her today and see. Maybe I can join my long hose onto hers and eliminate the necessity of pulling the hose up and over the fencing to do the power scrub? 




What I need is something like this - that will entrap and 
elevate the hose above the flowers (most of them - the 
lillies are much taller, so guide around the lillies). 
Unfortunately, we don't have anything like this. I wonder 
if I can find some at a local hardware store that I can 
buy quickly before starting on my project tomorrow. 



Hockey is over for the year, and what an amazing Stanley Cup series it turned out to be. I kept a set of notes from the end of the season, and had a good laugh over it as I was pulling it off my calendar yesterday. Twenty-five ice hockey columnists and commentators were asked about which team they thought would win the Cup, and also who would win the Conn Smythe Trophy. Every one of them had Florida losing in Round 1! Their numbers for which team would win the Cup were Carolina Hurricanes 7, Dallas Stars 6, New York Rangers 4, Houston Oilers 3, LV Knights 3, Winnipeg Jets 1, and Toronto Maple Leafs, 1. NONE of then had Florida going past the first round! At least Connor McDavid was named Conn Smythe Trophy winner, even though he played for the losing team, he well deserved the accolade. But, it certainly proves that the pundits have NO CLUE about who will actually win when it comes down to it. LOL




It's only the sixth time that a player from the losing team 
has won the Conn Smythe award. VERY rare. 


YearPlayerTeamPosition
2024Connor McDavidEdmonton OilersC
2003Jean-Sebastien GiguereMighty Ducks of AnaheimG
1987Ron HextallPhiladelphia FlyersG
1976Reggie LeachPhiladelphia FlyersRW
1968Glenn HallSt. Louis BluesG
1966Roger CrozierDetroit Red WingsG

What strikes me on this list is that four of the Conn 
Smythe winners from losing teams were Goalies, 
with one Right Wing and now, McDavid, a Center. 
What a odd mix, but understandable for those seasons. 


So, I'm off to the pool. Next week will be a bit off schedule because July 4th (Independence Day for my international readers) is on Thursday, so I'll be pushing my usual Thursday swim off to Friday next week. It'll throw me off all week - LOL. Here's hoping you have an excellent Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: