Friday, August 12, 2022

Devastating News - Kei Died Last Night

I just read Red's post, and I'm devastated. Keiless, my friend from Cape Town, South Africa, died last night from advanced lung cancer. We'd been on-line friends for years, more than a decade I'm pretty sure, and chatted on and off in private exchanges every now and again. I actually had a card on my desktop with her address paperclipped to it, just waiting for me to fill it out and mail it to her. I'm going to miss her - a lot. 


It's odd how friendships can be made and grow into rich, fulfilling exchanges, with people we've never met in person. How these days we can glibly say "I have a friend in South Attica, or Croatia, or any number of other places," and it's true; although we've never traveled there nor exchanged a hug. But we've exchanged our experiences, our highs and lows, and our achievements with these people whom we call our friends, and they, in turn, have enriched our lives. 


It's really hard to see through my tears right now, and I know I'll be thinking of her throughout the day, and for many days to come. I'm sorry to have a sad post today, but not every day will be filled with joy and optimism. Sometimes life gets in the way, and sometimes death closes the door. Mitakuye Oyasin. 



No comments: