Thursday, August 11, 2022

A Hawk, Lillies and Prayers for Kei Again

I'm going to have to make a bit of time to write today because the latest prompt for LJ Idol is due tomorrow and I don't want to be eliminated for not having put out a tale. I know the direction I want to go with this prompt, it came clear to me yesterday but I didn't have any time to devote to it. Yesterday was a VERY busy day, and I didn't get half as much done as I wanted to do. Still, I got the majority of things I needed to complete done, so all things, it was a good day. 




Can you see my hawk? It was letting me get quite 
close to it, while it carefully watched all around it. 
It was very aware I was there, but didn't seem 
bothered by me. 



Most important to me was getting my hummingbirds restocked on nectar. I should have done this late Tuesday, I knew it was low, but I did it on Wednesday afternoon and the greedy little things had just about eaten it down. I got that restocked, however, and settled down in my chair on the patio to watch the feeder for a bit when I saw it - one of my two hawks, perched on a branch in my upper back yard, cool and comfortable. 




After a little while, it shifted a bit. Now you can 
see the white speckled breast of the hawk as it 
looks over towards the neighbor's yard. It left to join 
it's companion shortly after this photo. 



I actually was able to get fairly close to it before it switched to a different branch and I returned to my chair. So I'm sharing a couple of hawk photos with you today, as well as a photo from the garden. We don't have much in bloom right now, but the lillies are quite lovely, so I thought I'd share those. 




We don't have a lot blooming right now, 
in fact, this year has been extremely 
disappointing because the ground 
squirrels and moles have really done a 
number on the yard. But the white 
lillies are blooming right now, and 
they're quite lovely. 



Shortly after I resettled on the patio, I heard the second hawk call to the first one, and saw them fly off south after prey they had spotted. It's too bad they're not into mole diving. I sure could use something to go after the moles that are eating up my yard this year. I've never had such a bad year for moles and they're digging everywhere. It's more than likely the main reason our plants have had problems this year. 




Please continue to send positive thoughts and 
prayers to my friend Keiless who is still 
in hospital after more than two weeks, and 
still doing poorly. We need lots of positive 
prayers. I'll know more at the end of 
next week when a mutual friend flies over 
to be with her family in this difficult time. 



Have an excellent Thursday. I'm off to the pool for my final swim of the week. I'll be back tomorrow and as always these days, Slava Ukraini. OH ... and please continue your prayers for my friend Keiless who is still in hospital and still NOT doing well. Another mutual friend will be flying out the end of next week to see her and help her family during this difficult time. I'm holding them in my thoughts and prayers and ask for you to also spare a kind thought for Kei's recovery and return to her home and loved ones. 



No comments: