Thursday, June 23, 2022

Reading and Education For All - I'm An Addict

This week's writing prompt has been whirling around in my head and I have to break down and actually write something - it's not going to be submitted on time if it's only in my head. But I'm also foot deep in decisions about photographing the next batch of crystals, finalizing my master sheets for this next shape, and exploring things like temporary adhesives, thinking use of one might make the photography easier for the round shape. 




The problem with round beads is they roll. But they're 
still going to be easier to photograph than the next shape - 
the bicone shape. I'll have to use an adhesive with the 
bicones which will add to the processing time. 



But all of that can be put off until after my swim. It's Thursday, and the final day of my swimming days this week, and I plan to enjoy it to the max. I left my audio book in a crucial place, so I'm excited to get back to the plot as well as into the water. Listening to my books while I swim is one of the better things I do for myself. I'm a voracious reader, and that's one more way to get some reading time in. 




I love nothing more than reading. I always 
have a book ready on my phone at all times, 
and I listen to books while I swim or 
fast-walk on the treadmill. I'm a proud 
addict of books. 



I was always the person in class who had to be told to put the book away. Teachers never had any problem getting me to read ... just getting me to read the assignments was sometimes tricky. If it's a book I want to read, however, no problem, ever! I've had my nose in a book since I first learned to read, and I suspect a book will topple from my electronic screen when I die. Other people knit or crochet, paint or compose, I write and I read. Yes, I bead, I work with silver and copper to make jewelry, I make multi-media art projects, and I spin and sew, but underneath everything I do is a book. 




Of all the addictions I have had in my life, books is the 
only one I celebrate and venerate. I'm unashamed at 
this addiction ... in fact I'm proud of this addiction. 



Do you have something you're addicted to? I totally and proudly admit that I'm addicted to the written word - on a page or spoken in a recording. There's nothing much better than reading - that transportation to other worlds, meeting other beings, and being in totally different situations. 




I am a firm believer in education for ALL. It worries me that 
so often the education of women is pushed into the back 
or forbidden completely. Some of our best thinkers, 
scientists, authors, and others have been women. It's hard 
to be a mover and shaker in the world if you're unaware 
of the world outside of your village or nation. 



I suppose that's one more reason why I think education for all is so important. How can someone read if they are not taught how to do so? Yes, these days they can listen to a book, but you still have to choose a title, a genre, an author. For me, reading is a gift that I'm eternally grateful for. On that note, I'm off to the pool to listen to more of my current audio book. Have a wonderful Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: