Friday, October 15, 2021

Routines, Social Distance and Virtual Hugs

I'm starting to get into the rhythm of my new routine, but it's like anything new, it takes a bit of practice to make it a regular part of my life. Today is a Friday, so today is a swim day. That changes my morning routine from Awakening, Meditating, Getting dressed in running clothes, Running, Showering, Breakfast and Blog, to Awakening, Meditating, Getting dressed in swimming clothes, Blog, Swimming, Showering, Breakfast and Work. The two different activities require different time frames, and those things I deem of most importance must be accomplished. Also, today is Friday, so when I get home from the pool, I need to make my reservation for swimming on Monday morning. 




Most people are comforted by routine. When something 
changes that routine, especially on a long-term basis, 
it can cause confusion and anger. My routine is very 
slowly returning to what it had been before Covid, but 
it's nowhere close to that yet, and may never truly 
return to the "old days". I enjoy routine, though, and 
set personal schedules for myself often. It's the only way 
I actually get things accomplished. 



DH also asked me to drop by the grocery store this morning on my way to the shop. No real problem with that - I usually drop by the store on Fridays anyway. But I purchased maximally on Wednesday so that I wouldn't need to do this. Still, it's on the way to the shop, and we have a functional VERY OLD refrigerator in the basement, so it's a bit of time spent, but not much past that. 




We have a very old, probably 1950's vintage 
refrigerator in the basement of the shop. It 
was from our old location, and similar in 
age to the first refrigerator we had in his 
Grandmother's house. It still works, and 
that's all that's important. We keep our 
lunches in it during the work day. 



It always take a while to really hit stride in a new routine, though. It's always a bit of a learning curve, a hill with unexpected bumps, twists and turns. So much has changed in our world since Covid. We're not as free-and-easy, not as trusting as we were more than two years ago. We carry masks in our pockets, cars and handbags. We automatically back off a bit when people get a bit too close to our personal space. We don't embrace without second thoughts the way we used to. This virus, this hateful thing that has killed so many, has forced distance into our lives and perspective/retrospective into our lives. 




We're getting accustomed to social distancing and making 
sure to keep that distance between each other. As someone 
who really enjoys hugging, it's a total PITA. 



Is this a good thing? Is it a bad one? I will say that I miss hugs. I miss that close interaction with other people I feel close to. I don't particularly mind wearing a mask, but I rarely have to wear one for more than an hour at a time. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd feel if I had to wear one for long stretches of time. I'm used to barricades - usually clear plexiglass - between me and other people. I think that's a bit sad - the fact that we, as social beings, have to barricade ourselves away from contact with others. 




These days it's all about virtual hugs, and those 
are the only kind I can send over the are to my 
friends far and wide anyway. So here's a virtual 
hug from me to you. Have a wonderful day! 



So your task today is to interact with another person so that you feel hugged virtually. Make a difference in one life. Leave one place with positive feelings behind you. Be that one person reflected on at the end of the day by someone you had never met before today. Spread love in the midst of the pandemic. I'll be back tomorrow, be safe, be kind, long-distance *hugs* to you from me. 




No comments: