Thursday, October 14, 2021

I'm Apparently Allergic to a Lot of Environmental Triggers

Yesterday's visit to the allergist was quite interesting. After a lot of questions about various foods and my reactions to them, he declared that I wasn't allergic to any food items (a relief, to be sure). I then shifted the conversation over to environmental triggers, told him I hadn't had a full panel since I was eight, and wondered if I could, perhaps, have one of those scheduled. 




The prick test itself is pretty easy. My PA numbered down 
my back with a removable marker, then pricked at each 
spot with the appropriate allergen. The first two were 
reserved for Histamine (guaranteed to have a reaction) and 
Saline (guaranteed to not have a reaction) as a baseline. 
Then I had to remain on my stomach for 15 minutes until 
the PA came back in to measure and record the results. 



He agreed with that, and said they could do it right away. He explained the procedure of scratches, wait for 15 minutes, then measure the results, to me and sent his PA in to get me settled. After the test had been administered and the results calculated, he would come in and explain the results and any recommendations he might have. 




I adore cats, but have known I am allergic to them 
since I was a child. Nonetheless, I've owned three 
cats over time, and even though they made me 
uncomfortable at times, I wouldn't have changed 
a thing. 



The test consisted of 38 pricks on my back, testing for general reactions, animals, dust mites/roaches, trees in Spring, grasses, and weeds and molds in Fall. Out of the 38 pricks, I reacted to 21, some of which were not a surprise. My general allergies to cats and mice were already known to me (it hadn't stopped me from getting cats on and off through the years - I truly love the little beasts). Dust mites were a problem, with a serious sensitivity to those. The doctor recommended I purchase dust mite shields for all of the beds. So Amazon got a bit richer this morning with a new mattress cover, six pillow protectors and a couch protector ordered. Oh well, it's only money, right? LOL




I ordered a new mattress cover (I needed a new 
one anyway) as well as six pillow protectors 
and a fitted couch protector since I sleep on 
a couch (it's extremely comfortable and far 
removed from DH's loud snoring - win/win). 



I have sensitivity to Ash, Birch, Box Elder, Cottonwood, Elm and Oak, also Timothy grass (no, I have no idea what that is either - LOL). I have sensitivity to Cocklebur, Lamb's quarters, Mugwort, Pigweed, and two types of Ragweed. Only three molds tripped me up - Alternaria, Helminthosporium/Drechslera and Hormodendrum/Cladosporium. Surprisingly, five other molds were completely innocuous to my crazy body. But, my highest sensitivities were to the two different dust mites, and Ash, Birch and Oak trees. Of course, I have a lot of birch around me, as well as some oak, but the predominant tree around me are maples and birch trees. No wonder I have a drippy nose at times. It's not life threatening, but it can be inconvenient at times. 




Since I was passing by my local Vitamin 
Shoppe, I stopped in for some Vitamin D 
in the 5000 u dosage. They actually had it 
on a 2-for-1 sale, so it was a total SCORE! 
I use this shop a lot for my various Trace 
Minerals and other additives that I put into 
my daily veggie smoothies. 



He also recommended I increase my daily dose of Vitamin D from 2000 u to 5000 u. I knew I was getting low on my supply of Vitamin D anyway, so while out and about later that day, I took a quick stop into the Vitamin Shop and picked up a bottle of 5000 u Vitamin D, which actually turned into 2 bottles because they were on 2-for-1 special. Score! 




The day was slipping away from me. It was 3:30 pm and 
I still hadn't eaten lunch. I quickly put a pouch of 
"Everyday Dal" into the microwave. I love this 
company - the meals are really tasty and only take a 
minute to heat up. A total win/win when I'm tight 
on time. 



So, the various tests and conversations with the doctor took my entire morning. The rest of the day passed in a blur, with my not even getting time to have "lunch" until 3:30 pm. Thank goodness I was able to relax for a while, chatting with Aearwen for our weekly catch-up chat. We'll have to skip next week, I'll be working on Chickie's final day of vacation. I'll miss it next week, because it's always a pleasure to just shoot the breeze with an LJ friend who has become a sister of the heart. 


Here's hoping your upcoming day is wonderful, filled with joy and light. I'll research whether the couch cover I just ordered (along with the mattress cover and six pillowcase covers) will actually fit my couch. If not, it will be going back to Amazon almost as quickly as it arrives at my door - LOL. But I wanted to get these items in hand as soon as possible. Dust mites - ICK!!! Have a great day, I'll be back for a quick check-in before tomorrow's swim. 




No comments: