Monday, August 12, 2024

The Olympics Are Behind Us - Life Is Ahead

I have stated before that I LOVE the Olympics, and it was true this time also. We had the TV on the event from early in the morning until late at night. DH would watch the financial markets first thing in the morning, and then turn on the Games. I had the shop TV (located in our back room) turned to the Event as soon as I arrived in the morning. I also used Peacock to look at several events that I was unable to see otherwise - like surfing (in French Polynesia - how awesome! - GREAT waves), and trampoline. I still want to go onto Peacock and catch Rhythmic Gymnastics and may be a couple of other events. 




Having Peacock makes things a bit easier for me when it 
comes to events like the Olympics. They have all of the 
events available, so it's an easy pick and choose if I missed 
one or another one. 



We watched the closing ceremonies yesterday night, after a long day of events. The winner of the Women's Marathon, from the Netherlands, had come to the games determined to win the 5000, the 10,000 and the marathon. She had been interviewed after her win in the 10,000 when she said that. That's a LOT of running within a short time span, with little down time between the events. But she pulled it out! I'm not sure any man would be able to do this, but she did - and she's just a little slip of a person. "I am woman, hear me roar" indeed! 




Sifan Hassan - what an amazing runner. She won gold in 
the 5000 meter, the 10,000 meter and the marathon at 
these Olympics. That's a LOT of running for one person 
in a two-week span. BRAVO!!!



The arena events for closing ceremony were interesting, but I really got into the closing ceremonies when Tom Cruise brought the flag to LA and Snoop Dog and Dr Dre cut it up on the beach! I adore watching those two perform together. They're even better when they add Eminen to the mix, but just the two of them was still damned good. Dr Dre hasn't lost it at all - he's still got the beat and the sound, and Snoop ... well, he's Snoop. Truly, after his time at the Olympics, I think Snoop would fit in just about anywhere. Pretty good for a gangsta' LOL. 




Snoop Dogg was outstanding at the Olympics - he was here, 
there, and eveerywhere. Then, at closing ceremonies, he 
was at the LA beach, singing with Dr Dre, welcoming the 
Olympics to LA in four years. Snoop and Dr Dre have come 
a long way from their "gangsta" days, the angry young 
men have matured into fantastic musicians and they can 
still lay down a beat bar none. Having Snoop in Paris was 
one of the highlights of the 2024 Olympics. 



I did enjoy the fact that since Paris is so many hours ahead of us, I was actually able to watch the whole closing ceremony. I usually have to peel out at some point to get to sleep - my alarm doesn't care if I didn't get enough sleep, it's still going to go off at 4:00 am on a Monday morning (my swimming days are even earlier). Sleep is an important thing for me - LOL. But I got to see the entire closing ceremony the first time, and again a second time for the rebroadcast (after it had been edited slightly). I'm going to miss the Olympics, as I said in the beginning paragraph. Oh well. *sigh* 




Do you see that small black-circled "island" in 
the lower part of the red area? That's the only 
part unburned from the California fires, and 
it's in that small 2 mile by 1 mile section where 
my friend's house is located (along with a 
few others). That's scary, lucky! She was on an 
Alaskan cruise with her extended family when 
the fires engulfed the area. They had no idea 
what they would find when they returned to 
California. She wrote about the experience as her 
post in Idol this week and she's in the lead for 
her story. Well deserved lead, at that! 



Have an excellent Monday and I'll be back tomorrow. Be kind to others and spoil your pets and your children a little today - just because. If you haven't voted for my current story, I'd appreciate your vote. I'm not at the bottom, but I'm nowhere close to the top (nor will I be. That's looking like it will be my friend Bleodswean, whose house barely escaped the current California wildfires. It's in one very small pocket of untouched land in the middle of a fire-caused wasteland. So frightening. She well deserves the win this week, and any positive thoughts you can send her direction would be appreciated, I'm sure. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: