Saturday, August 3, 2024

Harvesting, the Olympics and ... Well, There's Not Much Else, Right?

Yesterday was a "day off" for me, and I spent the day with the garden, the dehydrator and the Olympics. In other words, it was a delightful day. I barely touched the computer at all, so I have a lot of catch-up to do with my friends' posts and reading'/voting for stories on LJ Idol. BTW, I hope you've had a chance to read my own story, and if you feel it has merit, I'd appreciate your vote. If you need the URL, just message me or comment and I'll pass it along, otherwise, check yesterday's post. 




I still have a good amount of thyme left in the pot, but 
I harvested quite a bit also. The new dehydrator works 
really well with my herbs. I'm very pleased. It even has 
two mesh trays and catch-basins for the small things 
like these little leaves when they dry. 



I harvested lots of thyme and almost the last of my rosemary yesterday, and put them into the dehydrator overnight. I just spent 1/2 hour in the kitchen stripping the branches and putting them into containers. I'll check the appearance tonight, and if necessary I'll put them through the grinder to get a uniform cut for cooking use. 




My fresh rosemary is almost all harvested. That's a shame, 
because it's such a lovely herb. I use rosemary whenever 
I bake salmon, so it actually gets quite a lot 
of use during Lent since I bake salmon every Friday for 
my dinner. 



I also harvested a bunch of cherry tomatoes, but I usually have quite a few with my evening salads, so I'm not worried about having them go bad before I eat them. I have them in a container on top of the microwave, looking bright and cheery in their brilliant red and yellow colored skins. So good! I ended up with seven jars of dried and ground peppers. I'd really like to get those jars out of the cupboard and onto shelving so that I can use them in my cooking. I'm thinking maybe some very small shelving on the sides of my spice cabinet. I'll have to talk to DH about that, though. If I install something like that without consulting him, he'll have a total hissy fit. 




My cherry tomatoes (I have several plants of them) are 
doing beautifully. I'm harvesting some every day. I picked 
quite a lot of them yesterday. If I get overwhelmed, it'll be 
more things for the dehydrator. Options abound! LOL



The Olympics was marvelous, as always. So many things to see. Here at home, I'm stuck - I watch the channel that DH had on, and I have no idea what the other channels are that are holding the games. So I'm watching network, and that's often not the sports I'm most interested in. At the shop, I have all three channels written down, so no problem switching from this to that. By the time I get the home channels figured out, they'll be over - LOL. Now we're starting track and field, so different athletes, and almost no swimming or gymnastics (there's still some, but not a lot left). That's good. I think it's time to move on from those two dominant categories and onward to running, throwing and jumping. 




Apparently each medal awarded has an actual small piece 
of the Eiffel Tower inside them. I think that's actually a 
pretty cool thing. 



Well, I've got to get an order scanned in and sent to one of my suppliers, so I'll end it here. I hope you have a truly lovely Saturday and weekend and I'll be back on Monday. Hug your loved ones, do something you really enjoy, and share it with me in comments on Monday's post. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: