Saturday, April 20, 2024

Hobbits and a Recommended Book

Yesterday was a lovely "day off". I decided I needed to relax, so after general housework and a run to the grocery store, I made my weekly rations of "Ogre Juice" and settled down to the computer. I did a few necessary things, then set up my laptop and went back to playing my current "new" character on "Lord of the Rings Online". It's always fun to play new characters. You're not fighting a never-ending battle against the Dark, you're helping Hobbits and other free peoples of Middle Earth. Instead of going against the Servants of the Dark, you're just killing goblins and wild beasts. It's much more user-friendly at the starting level, and less depressing. 




The Shire, in "Lord of the Rings Online" is a lovely 
place of rolling hills, lots of houses and hobbit holes 
and green - very green and verdant. Things start 
changing quickly when you leave the Shire. Bree isn't 
nearly as green or welcoming, although it's still quite 
benign. I've been playing LOTRO now for 17 years, 
and I still love it - although I don't play it consistently. 



I think what always seems to stop me at the upper levels is that thought that I'm going against a Great Evil - the Dark Lord itself - so the lands are also dark and depressing, the dungeons are dank and filled with dark corners, and generally, that bright sunshine that I get in the Shire and the other free lands isn't there any more. I have enough darkness in my current world - battles here and there, wars in Ukraine and the Middle East, and idiots who are horribly short-sighted in positions of power throughout governments. That's depressing, so seeing that I can do a little bit of good for a Hobbit's life is a positive ray of sunshine in my life. 




I highly recommend this book. It's got all 
of the medical information, but it's presented 
in a way that's VERY readable and interesting. 
I'm finding things out about nutrition that I 
suspected, but didn't actually know. Now I'm 
learning new things, and it's fascinating. 



I've been reading a book called "Grain Brain" by Dr David Purlmutter and it's fascinating, easy to read, but big on details. I can't put it down, and I highly recommend it to all of you. I know everyone reading my blog has times when they wonder if they are doing and eating the "right" things for their health - physical and mental. He goes into the science of what may contribute to "brain fog" and other brain-related conditions, and can tie them directly back to food choices. One of the major culprits is sugar. Are you aware of how much sugar you actually eat? I'm not just talking about the spoon in your morning hot beverage. There's sugar that you add to things, and there's natural sugars - both play into brain issues, and I'm amazed at how much mental acuity is influenced by sugars (and not in a good way). 




It's time for breakfast, then onward to the shop. I'll probably 
kill a few goblins in LOTRO before starting a day filled 
with entering and printing out price tags. At least I'll be 
busy at the shop - LOL. 



So, I'm wrapping this up, eating my breakfast "toast" and baked fruit, and then heading to the shop. I've been told that I have a LOT of price tags to enter and print out today, so I'd better get to it. Have a fabulous Saturday and weekend and I'll be back on Monday - at least, that's the plan. *Hugs* to all! Slava Ukraini and חיים למען ישראל. 



No comments: