Monday, June 27, 2022

Doing the Happy Dance After a Day of Fits and Starts - I Hate Breaking In New Phones

 First off, two items of business. 


The most important, of course, is hockey. The Colorado Avalanche pulled it off and won Lord Stanley's Cup in the 6th game of the series. I'm deliriously happy about that - truly delighted. As I told an on-line fellow hockey fan - if the Minnesota Wild couldn't win the Cup, then the second team of my heart, the Colorado Avalanche should pull it of. And the DID! Bravo and cheers and happy dances. 




The Avalanche were playing excellent hockey this 
year and I am thrilled and delighted that they 
managed to win Lord Stanley's Cup. If the Cup 
couldn't go to Minnesota, Colorado is the next 
best thing for me. 



Second item of business is voting on LJ Idol which, this time, is restricted to contestants only. Bummer! Although I don't push friends and family to vote for me, I always appreciate it when some of you are kind enough to do so. Save those votes for the next challenge, however. I'm still very much in the pack and I'll be around for a while longer. In the meantime, I'll read through all of the entries and put in my own votes. We'll see how I do in a very limited field of votes this time. 




I'm a bit bummed that it's voting for contestants only this 
time, but then again I don't have a huge cadre of people 
I can call upon for votes in any case. I'll be sure to let you 
know when the voting is open once again - probably for 
the next story. I'm curious how I'll do in the votes this time - 
I'm a new kid on the block and don't have a lot of 
alliances. I just love to write to prompts, so I'm delighted 
to be a part of this group. 



I spent most of the day yesterday dealing with DH's new cellphone. It had arrived from Amazon on Friday, so I went to Verizon yesterday when they opened and got a SIM card for it. While I was there, I also picked up a $199 tablet that DH had his eyes on. I'll order screen protection for the tablet today. The rest of the day was spent by transferring the data from the old phone to the new one. 




DH now has a functional, fully operational 
Samsung S22 Galaxy phone. The way he holds 
on to things, he'll probably still have the darned 
thing when he dies - LOL. But I never want to 
try to transfer data from a phone as old as his 
old Motorola again, so I'll have to be firm and 
put my foot down. It'll have to be replaced 
sooner than the length of time it was this time. 



Normally this should have been a piece of cake. Samsung has a lovely transfer program for their phones called Samsung Smart Switch and it works well ... except when the two can't be connected via the included cable which was for USB-C to USB-C. His old Motorola phone was SO ancient, it was still using a Micro USB-X connector, and I didn't have a cable with one end Micro and the other end C. 




I have a lot of different cables, but none that are 
Micro USB to USB-C. The included cable with 
my phone and DH's phone for data transfer was 
USB-C to USB-C which is an easy transfer to do. 
I didn't have an adapter to make a Micro USB 
into a USB-C, so I had to work with a WiFi 
connection instead. It worked, but not as well 
as I had hoped it would. Still, his programs did 
shift over, even if details might not have made 
the jump. 



That meant I needed to work with an on-line WiFi program instead. I tried Mobiel Trans first, but they actually wanted me to purchase the program and no ... not going to do that unless I'm out of options. Then I tried Share It and that finally worked, but in the middle of everything I had to rediscover sign-in codes and passwords that hadn't been used forever, get the new phone onto my WiFi network, and power it up because it was only half-power and I was using a lot just for the set-up. I finally succeeded in getting his phone to the point where I could pass it over to him. He now has to deal with the fact that a lot of his data still needs to be restored - the programs pulled over fine, but not all of the data. For instance, his note-taking calendar that he uses extensively pulled over, but all of his appointments, etc didn't. He'll be re-entering appointments, contacts, and other miscellaneous items for most of today and part of the week. 




The new tablet is quite nice. He wants 
to use his old case, but I don't think it 
will fit (and the case looks like crap). 
Still, I can check that out on Wednesday. 
I won't let him have the tablet until I 
have screen protection on it anyway. 



I'll work on the new tablet in the meantime. After I get screen protection on it, I'll make sure it has everything we need on it and then pass it on to DH later this week. I have plenty of other things to do that will keep me busy. I'm almost finished with the photo grids for the round Swarovski crystals, then I can start the actual photo work and see where that goes. 


So, have a wonderful Monday. I hope I'm busy at the store, but at least DH will be kept busy working on his new phone. Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow. AND, if you're a member of the LJ Idol writing group, please consider voting for my creation story. I'd appreciate your vote. Slava Ukraini




No comments: