Wednesday, May 11, 2022

I Get To Spend My Birthday At A Memorial Service - Oh Joy! LOL

Today is my birthday and I'll be spending my "day off" at a funeral. Well, actually, it's a memorial service to plant the ashes of my husband's aunt. It's scheduled for 11:00 am, so right in the middle of a very hectic schedule of topsy-turvy stuff that I have to do. DH and I hadn't decided until last night which of us would attend this "event", but decided I would be the better choice. So I get to meet with two of my nieces at the cemetery entrance shortly before 11 am today and we'll plant DH's Aunt Phyllis into the ground beside her husband. 




I'm supposed to meet my niece at the entrance to 
Roselawn Cemetery. It's a lovely cemetery, and I 
should stop by the gravesite of my in-laws while 
I'm there, but I'm tight on time as usual, so probably 
won't spend the time. 



I only met Aunt Phyllis twice - once in her home in Kansas City, one when she came up to the Cities to visit with her sister - my mother-in-law. She didn't care for me - for that matter, she didn't care for many people at all, so I wasn't anything special in that regard. But, she died earlier this year and was cremated. Her cremains were sent to a cousin up here whom I don't think I've ever met. Out of that whole side of the family, I only liked her husband's brother who lived up here and was a semi-regular customer of mine at the shop. He was fun and an excellent beader. 




Roswlawn is a beautiful cemetery and it's huge. There's 
are a lot of people planted here. Uncle Gene's address 
is Section 10, Block 3, Lot 590, Space 1. He died in 
August of 1979, at age 55, so quite young. She stayed 
in Kansas City and I assume she'll have Space 2 now. 



Apparently Aunt Phyllis didn't like any of the boys in the family - Jim, his older brother Michael, or their cousin Mark. She liked my husband's sister and the daughters of the one sister who lived in California. She and her husband were childless (I suspect by choice rather than any physical aspect) and lived in Kansas City, so we didn't have to interact with her. I don't even recall her coming up for my mother-in-law's funeral. No real loss there, though. We didn't need her attitude ruining that day, and it was a bitterly cold sub-zero day in January for an outdoor funeral. Brrrrrr. 




Roselawn Cemetery is huge and sprawling, right in 
what was the outskirts of the suburb in the 1950's and 
is smack dab in the middle of the city, now. Lots and lots 
of people are planted here, including my mother and 
father-in-law. Me? Just burn me and scatter my ashes. I 
don't need or want any permanent stone to mark my passage 
through this life. 



So I'll go do the family thing and at least see my oldest niece again - always a joy. It does punch a hole in my day, though, so I'm hoping I can get the things done that I need to. No time to waste, so, I'm going to wrap this up and head out to the pool. A good swim on the first day of my next year of life sounds like the perfect thing to do. Have an excellent day. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: