Saturday, November 27, 2021

Day 2 Of Our Two-Day Sale and A Bit of ARGH With My Holiday Cards

Today is the second day of our After Thanksgiving Day Sale. It's "Small Business Saturday", an event first started more than a decade ago by the American Express credit card company. We have different items on sale today than yesterday, and we'll see how it goes. Today's items are usually more labor intensive for the staff, but typically Day 2 brings in less money than Day 1. Yesterday was the super small beads, aka "seed beads". Today's sale features beads larger than a seed bead - those that are actually sized by millimetres. 




Today is Small Business Saturday and we thank our customers 
by offering the second day of our two-day sale. We rarely 
have sales, so these days are quite special. 



I got a bit done on my cards yesterday before we opened, but not as much as I wanted. Still, I'll take any progress as a win and move onward. I'll have to leave myself a note to NOT order this particular card finish again. I'm finding the embossing powder has a difficult time adhering well to the "metallic" coating of the cards, and this is creating a problem. They certainly won't be as neat as I prefer this year, but the sentiments and the good wishes I put into each one will still come through over the miles. 




Metallic cardstock has a slightly metallic sheen to the 
paper. It's lovely to look at and has a nice weight, but 
it's turning out to be quite difficult for my embossing 
powders to really grip well. That's causing some problems, 
and additional time spent. It's also making this year's 
cards messier than I would like. I don't have the time or 
money to redo this portion of the cards, so I'll have 
to live with it and push through. 



With luck and some time, I might have them almost complete by the end of next week. I'm certainly going to try, although I still have quite a bit left to do. At least I get my "days off" next week, and I'll be using whatever extra time I've got to work on them. I can't put the inserts into the actual cards until I'm finished with them. Each card has four separate images embossed on them - that takes some serious time. 




My cards are somewhat like an assembly line. Each 
step of the process has to be completed before 
the next step can commence. The different parts 
are prepared and then assembled. It's easy in 
concept, a bit more difficult in the actual doing. 
But the challenge is always fun. 



Still, it's a lot of fun to see them come together, and I don't regret the process or the design decisions (except for the metallic finish of the actual folded card). I'll be happy to send them out. It's been a joy to be creative once again - exercising those parts of my brain that have been latent for too long these past two years. 




It costs nothing to brighten someone's day, so try 
to spread a bit of kindness behind you as you move 
through your day today. 



On that rather creative and/or domestic note, I think I'll wrap this up. I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend and please, be kind, acknowledge the worth of those you meet in your daily life, and smile. A little kindness can go a long way. I'll be back on Monday. 




No comments: