Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Oven Ordered and Another Ice Run

DH and I dropped by the appliance store on our way home from work last night and purchased the GE built-in oven we had decided upon. Since it's coming from GE to the appliance store, we don't know when to expect delivery, but we only used the oven once a week or so, so if it takes longer, that's OK. At least it is here, in the USA, not overseas, so it will be delivered within a reasonable time. 




I'm unsure if the oven will arrive and be installed 
before Sharon arrives. Although it would be 
nice, it's not essential. I use the oven, but not so much 
that being without it will be a horrible thing. We can 
manage with the stovetop and microwave, and 
what we can't cook that way, we'll just have to buy 
ready-to-eat. 



Then I'll have to get in touch with their contractor installer. We're hiring the guy who installed my cooktop to do the install for the oven. He did an excellent job on the cooktop, and I hope that carries through to the oven. The dimensions are close, but we may need to add some wood on each side to hug the oven box a bit tighter. It would be lovely if both DH and I could be there for the install, but that's unlikely. I'm not sure which of us would be the better choice to be present, but we can work that out. 




The major deal with the wall oven is how close the box will 
fit into the cabinet, and whether the cabinet will 
support the weight of the oven (90 pounds, 
in this case). The walls of our opening 
should be fine for the new oven dimensions, 
and there are two 2x4 braces at the bottom, 
which should be fine for the weight. 
The old ones screwed into the framework, 
but it appears the newer ones just push 
into the opening directly and don't have 
separate attachments. 



So, for my friends who reminded me that these things come in threes, I'll remind them in turn, that we had the garage door break, then the refrigerator, and now the oven. I'll consider that my three, and say this run is well over. At least (under ideal conditions) I might have a new appearance to the kitchen when Sharon comes. But, there is also a strong possibility that the oven will still be "in transit" and it will just be a broken oven sitting in a cabinet when she arrives. 




It's Highland Fling weekend at the Renaissance Festival, one 
of my favorite weekends. In 2019, it was later in the season 
and a wet, rainy and very cold day to watch the competitors 
toss the caber, throw the sheaf, and hurl the balls. We should 
be in for a hot weekend, so I'll be much happier. My tattoo will 
be the star of the show, and my parasol will be getting some 
heavy use (with a head scarf available if needed). 



Renaissance Festival starts on Saturday and we'll be there on Sunday. Time to pull out the various clothing items once again, load up the car, and drive out to Hopkins. I'd better get some gas in the car either Wednesday or Friday, and I'm quickly running out of time to get Sharon's room set up, so that's moving up my list to become a HIGH PRIORITY ITEM. Maybe it's a good thing that I won't have a refrigerator until Thursday. I can devote Wednesday to cleaning instead of kitchen stuff. 




We're going through an 18-lb bag of 
ice a day in three coolers. Tomorrow we'll 
add another one or two coolers when we pull 
everything out of the freezer so that the old 
refrigerator can be removed. I'm on 
"buy ice" morning duty for the next few 
days. 



So, I'm out of here. I still have to get to the store to buy our next 18 pound bag of ice, so I'd better be on my game. I can't be late for the shop, I have a ton to do there today. Have an excellent Tuesday; smile a lot, play with kids or with your computer, and be kind. We all need more kindness in this tortured world. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: