Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Back to Middle Earth Month - I'm Tempted

March is the beginning of the Silmarillion Writer's Guild annual "Back to Middle Earth" month. Over the years I've done some of my better writing under the umbrella of this event, and I've been itching to get back to writing a bit more than just my daily blog post, so I at least am taking steps to be able to participate if the muse allows. It's a BINGO event again this year, and I always love those. Each participant can choose up to ten cards from the more than 200 cards available. I did a first look through the cards yesterday. 



I started writing fan-fiction in the Tolkien universe in a B2MeM
event many years ago. So much has changed since then, but over
the years within that fandom I've acquired some life-long friends. 



I guess I'll have to do some serious culling - LOL. On my first pass, I ended up with more than 35 cards in my "possibles" list. Since I can only accept ten cards as a final choice, today I'll try and take a little time to look at my choices once again and try to figure out which cards will really tempt me once the event is actually under way. I don't have a lot of time to devote, so I'll be working short and concise, a format/style that I prefer anyway. But with up to ten cards, even if I do standard 100-word drabbles, that can still amount to 1000 words each day. 



A lot of this year's challenges are artwork, but I'm slow with art. If
I chose that option I wouldn't have a BINGO at all. As it is, I might
not succeed if the random numbers don't light up my muse. I love this
double-spiral drawing of "The Hobbit", though. Such a beautiful
thing to look at. 



In the past, although I've chosen several cards I usually ended up concentrating on a single card, perhaps two at the outside. I'd like to narrow my choices down a bit so that I won't have quite as much of a time crunch, but I've missed writing and playing in Tolkien's sand-box, and would enjoy playing with other parameters than original fiction. It's oh so tempting. 



The first B2MeM I participated was in 2011 and I succeeded in
a full passport of all of the places visited. I really enjoyed that
journey through the places of Middle Earth. 



Today I'll cull. I'll look more carefully at my first choices and start discarding before choosing my finals. It's hard, though. It's rather like looking at a row of cupcakes and trying to choose the best one to take home - almost impossible and why I usually don't choose any cupcake at all. That's great for my hips, but my taste buds are disappointed. 



The last B2MeM I put effort into was kn 2017 for the Night and Day
challenge. It was intricate and a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. Other
challenges over the years didn't hit me as well, but the BINGO
challenge has always been interesting to me. So, cull I shall! 



Happy Tuesday to all. Tomorrow we'll get snow starting at 6:00 am and dumping six inches (speculated). Of course, I get to start tomorrow out by getting the store opened and then driving to the far south of the cities to the Social Security Office to prove that I'm a real person and that I was born and that I was given citizenship before I was three years old. The joys of bureaucracy. Be good, be safe, and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: