Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Swordspoint and Game of Thrones

As my readers know, I have been reading books by Ellen Kushner.  I read Swordspoint and am now involved in The Privilege of the Sword.  Swordspoint caught me quickly.  It was recommended by several fanfic authors whose opinions I greatly respect, so I purchased it for my Nook and buried my nose in electronic text.  Yesterday morning, I found the perfect musical accompaniment to the story.  It's not that I don't know the music very well, I have listened to this for many years.  But the understated elegance, the pull between the themes, the way that the music just snakes through the measures, it just spoke to me as being perfect for the magnetic attraction and unusual combination of Alec and Richard.  The music is JS Bach's "Air on the G String".  




And Game of Thrones has started broadcasting on HBO.  I don't get the premium channels on my TV, so I'll have to wait to see it until the DVD gets released after the season is over.  The comments I am hearing from friends who are able to see it are generally quite favorable.  The books drove me, and still drive me, a bit crazy.  I'm not sure whether I want to read them again to refresh my memories of the world that Martin is presenting.  I think I would rather watch this for the costumery and to see Sean Bean wearing a sword again.  That, in itself, will be worth the watch.  For those who are fans of the series, Poster Revolution has some wonderful posters available.  So, today's post has been on entertainment.  What are you doing for entertainment this week? 

No comments: