Friday, September 20, 2024

Challenges - LJ Idol and Retainers

Although today is a "day off" and I have a ton of things to finish before DH returns home from the shop tonight, I have to take time and write my offering for the current LJ Idol challenge. I didn't have any time over the past two days, just snippets here and there. I'm not sure if today will be any better, so I'm scrapping what I had written and my original thoughts on the subject matter and going into a shorter format. It'll still require some thinking and it won't be "thrown" together with ease, but I think (I hope) I can have it ready to post by deadline (and remember to put the link down on Gary's post, which is something I often forget until the following day). *sigh* Just one more thing to add to my busy, busy day, but something that I enjoy and a challenge. I've always loved a writing challenge. 




I enjoy a writing challenge, but after having attempted 
two times already to complete this week's challenge, I'm 
almost at the end of my rope. But, a thought came to me in 
the shower (as they often will), and I'm going to give that 
a try. Deadline's tonight, the clock is ticking. 



My "Graduation Gift" from my Orthodontist was a lovely Yeti 32 ounce metal mug with a magnetic lock for the lid. It's wonderful. I really like it a lot, and the best thing about it is the handle is just slightly above the cup holders in Minnion, so I can easily transport it in the car with me. I actually read the instruction sheet (I know ... what WAS I thinking! Actually reading the instructions??). I have to wear the removable retainers (and they fit VERY snugly) 24/7 except ... I can remove them when eating, brushing my teeth(well, THAT makes sense - LOL), swimming (I was pleased about that) and when participating in contact sports. Well, I don't do contact sports, so that's irrelevant to me. Still, I don't have to wear them 24/7, just 22/7 or so - LOL. 




My new Yeti cup is quite similar to this, 
with my Orthodontist's business name 
imprinted on the reverse side. I REALLY 
like it. It's heavy, so won't fall over 
easily, and it fits perfectly in the cup 
holder of my car. Win/Win



After the first week, even better! After the first week, I have to wear the retainers when I sleep, but they can be off while I'm awake. I suspect that most of his clients sleep for more than 5-6 hours a night, so I'll probably leave them in until breakfast and put them in again when I go to sleep. That will put an additional hour or two of wearing time into the schedule. The instructions also note that if the retainer feels tight when placed (and it seems that way all the time right now), increase the amount of time wearing them. Also, if I miss a night or two (which I doubt will happen), I'll need to wear them full-time for a few days. 




I did order a Zima ultrasonic cleaner for my 
retainers. I want to keep them looking clear and 
lovely for as long as possible. Even though 
I'll only be wearing them overnights starting in 
a week or so, I still want them fresh and clean 
and not scuzzy, dirty or smelly. I can always use 
the cleaner on my jewelry if I decide to branch 
out a bit more - LOL. 



I did order a sonic retainer cleaner to add to my usual toothbrush and toothpaste. I suspect these will look scuzzy quickly if I don't take super good care of them. BUT, I'm also not supposed to subject them to heat sources - hot/boiling water being the first one on the list. OOPS well, I'm NOT going to stop having my tea. My herbal tea in the morning and throughout the day is what keeps me going. So ... I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it, but right now, I'm thinking my tea (which I don't drink SUPER hot anyway) will be OK. It'll have to be - LOL. 




I'm not sure all of the blame can be placed on this 
adorable dog. If he/she managed to eat THREE sets 
of them, then someone isn't putting them away 
carefully overnight. Replacement retainers are 
expensive, so I'd be a Dad who would make his kid 
work off the expense with extra chores around the 
house and a temporary cut in allowance funds. 



Oh, and I also have to keep the retainers away from pets. I always thought that was a folk tale, but I do recall one time when I was in the waiting room and a young man came in for a new upper retainer. Apparently his dog had gotten hold of it and chewed it up. I moved the "folk tale" up to "true" on my mental list with that young man's tale, and am grateful that I have no pets. A husband, yes, but no pets. DH's far too labor intensive to add any other critters to my care schedule. On that note, I'm out of here. I have a story to write! Have an excellent Friday and I'll return to wrap the week up tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: