Friday, May 31, 2024

We'll Have a Fence Next Week! Hallelujah

I got a phone call from our fence people yesterday, scheduling the final stage - putting up the panels. Originally they suggested today - but I have a TON of stuff to do at home today and couldn't switch with DH and give up my Friday. So, I turned them down. We're now scheduled for Tuesday - a perfect day because it's DH's "day off" anyway, so he can be here to "supervise", which is what he would want in any case. I texted him and told him that the panels were scheduled for Tuesday, and I'll remind him a few more times. We'll finally have our private back yard again, and I can hardly wait. I'll phone Laura and Fakhri today to clue them into the activity that will be happening on our property line. 




Our fence will have a lattice top, but it's panels will be 
similar to these. I can hardly wait until we have our private 
yard back once again. Our wildlife will be minimized, and our 
birds will be much happier - they also enjoy privacy. 



Our garden isn't doing quite as well this year as prior years. When we've planted several plants from the same batch, in the same general vicinity, we're getting quite a few transplants that thrived, initially, and that are now dying. It's quite mystifying and rather frustrating for poor DH; he's very disappointed in the flower garden this year. 




Something ate my purple columbines earlier this week. 
It was probably a deer. Without the fence, it's open season 
for animals and our garden. With the fence, they actually 
have to come up from the culvert - quite a bit more effort. 
They'll still come up, but not in the large numbers that 
we're getting right now. 



I, however, am still quite pleased. I know the garden will pick up and be much happier when the fence is back up and they won't get eaten by the odd deer coming over to check us out. The fence also does affect the lighting of the yard, we have much more shade when the fence is up than we do with this broad open expanse between Laura's house and our own. For sun sensitive me, that's also much healthier. 




Although there are a lot of perennial flowers that 
tolerate shade, there aren't a lot that grow well in 
our northern gardens. DH plants whatever he can, 
but he's quite disappointed in his garden this year. 



In ice hockey, the Florida Panthers pulled out a win last night, to move closer to the finals. We're down to the semi-finals now - Edmonton vs Baltimore, and Florida vs the New York Rangers. Since the Wild were out of it early, I really don't have a favorite in the final four, but the games have been SO good to watch, and they've been tight games! So much fun to watch. On that note, it's time for me to get moving, close this out, and start a busy day in the kitchen. I need to make my weekly Ogre Juice (Alkagizer) and I'm also going to bake my next week+ of baked fruit for my breakfasts. I do love fruit in the morning, and baking it with yummy spices, chopped nuts and maple syrup makes for an even lovelier breakfast every day. I hope your Friday is wonderful, and I'll be back to wrap the week up tomorrow. Slava Ukraini. 




No comments: