Friday, October 22, 2021

Silver and Glass - Yesterday Was A Day For It

Chickie was back from her weeks of stay-cation yesterday and what a relief. We had a long-time customer in, and Chickie is much better at the chit-chat than I am. So as she pulled and marked sterling sheet and wire for Greta, I plugged in the appropriate adders for current market price variance, and did the actual cash register stuff. It's always fun to see Greta, we've known her for more than 20 years and she's bright, talented, and a lot of fun. Now we get to catch up with her and her grandchildren; earlier, it was her three kids and what they were up to. Life goes on. 




I've known Greta for more than 20 years now. When I 
first met her she was living in the Twin Cities. Then she 
moved to Wisconsin for quite a few years, got divorced, 
and then got remarried and moved back to the Cities. 
Now we get a chance to see her every now and then. 
Yesterday she dropped by to pick up supplies for her 
holiday season jewelry - sheet silver and large-stock 
wire. She's a talented silversmith. She wears the silver 
fox pictured above often. I'm not sure if she would 
actually sell it she loves it so much - LOL. 



Having Chickie back pulls some of the pressure away from me, so that's a real plus. I had hoped she had a chance to relax a bit during her week+ off, but apparently her mother "needed" her every day to go here and there with her. She also had some items on her own agenda that needed to get taken care of, and she was supposed to get a new couch delivered on Tuesday. It turned out to be a rather exhausting stay-cation, but at least she got a lot of things accomplished. 




Chickie cancelled the one sofa and ordered one 
similar to this, but in a lighter color of leather. 
I think she said it will be next year before it's 
ready for delivery, so I guess they're making it 
to order. She made sure it would be able to 
get through her doors. It was an additional 
$1000 though, so the $2000 couch has now 
become a $3000 couch. I'm rather appalled by 
how much the darned things cost! 



The couch turned out to be a bust. Although the downstairs doors are 36" wide (she lives on the upper floor of a duplex), the doors to her unit are only 32" wide, and the delivery people couldn't maneuver her new couch through the opening. She cancelled the order and had them return the couch to the store. Unfortunately she was out the $180 delivery charge (which I think was very unfair of them to charge). She then stopped by the La-Z-Boy store near her and ordered a couch that will fit. It's made to order, though, so she won't see it for another six months, but she says she likes it even more than the original choice. Bummer on the time-frame, though. 




This is our temporary window. It's air sealed around 
that roundish area inside, and around all four edges 
of the pane. The glass company recommended leaving 
our tape on the glass, and I told them I had NO
INTENTION of removing the tape at all. So, we can pull 
the blue tape off on Saturday if we want, or we can 
just leave things until the new pane is installed. 
This will help our heat, though. No more open hole
in the middle of the broken pane. 



The glass people showed up yesterday to put up a temporary pane that is airtight. That's going to help us keep our temperature in the store steady, and it will stay up until the full pane is removed and the new pane is installed - sometime within a month, hopefully. I was lucky, the window washers were also out cleaning our windows less than an hour later and I was able to stop them before they washed that pane. They're always a bit rough with the tools, and I don't need the broken pane shattering because I wanted a clean window. Disaster averted! LOL




We had an extraordinary sunrise on Wednesday morning, 
and I had to pull over a couple of times to snap some 
shots. I posted on Facebook, but thought I'd share with 
all of you as well. So beautiful! 



Have an excellent Friday. I'm off to the swimming pool for my 5:00 am reservation - double and triple checked. When I get back home from my swim, I'll make Monday's reservation. It's so wonderful to be back in the swimming pool again. And I finally have a day off again, after working six of the last seven days. I'm going to catch up with everything I couldn't do on Wednesday - laundry, grocery shopping and housecleaning. My dust mite covers from Amazon arrived yesterday, so I'll get all of those put on (a chore for the mattress and the couch, but easy for the pillows). Hopefully, by the time I end the day, I'll be exhausted, but have a serious positive sense of accomplishment. Enjoy your day, I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: