Friday, September 24, 2021

I'm Feeling Better and a Closer Look at the Ryder Cup

I saw my Dermatologist on Tuesday, and I'm already looking much less like a parboiled fish and much more like a human being. I diligently apply a thin coating of the greasy gunk to myself three times a day, and I take the mega-antibiotic every morning while eating my morning fruit. It seems to be working. I'm at least feeling much better about being out in public, and I'm not scratching and feeling like bugs are crawling under my skin (dermatitis conditions are very uncomfortable). 




I suspect I'll have something similar to this panel 
when I get my allergy tests in mid-October. I know 
they'll use my back, and I expect some of the tests 
will be positive, so I'll have skin reactions in some of 
the locations, but not most. I'm just really curious - 
it's been so long since I've been tested and 
allergies can change over a lifetime. 



I've started to once again understand how panicked my parents much have been when I was suffering from similar issues as a child. They had me in for skin tests and allergy tests very early on, and I had to use specific skin creams, take oral medications (and some injections - probably a source of my hatred of needles to this day), and use prescription soap (!) into my teenage years. They also had a full allergy screen done on me - extremely annoying and uncomfortable, sometimes painful. And yet, here I am, going through the same darned procedures almost 60 years later. 


I don't see the allergist for any testing until mid-October, but I am going to have an allergy screen done because I know allergies can change and I haven't actually examined what I'm allergic to since I was a child. Maybe it's time for an update - LOL. 




The Ryder Cup is always entertaining. I'll have it on the 
back room television at the shop, but I'm not going to 
be avidly watching it throughout the weekend. DH, on 
the other hand, will have it on the TV over his desk in 
the computer room and will be casting his eyes on 
it often. Today is the opening day of the three-day 
competition. 



I have to work today, while DH takes the day and watches the Ryder Cup. The Ryder Cup is team play in an individual sport, so it's a bit bizarre. There is a team captain for each of the two teams - America and European. There are 28 overall matches, each match worth one point, and they are played in three different forms of competition - fourball, foursome and singles competitions. Teams are 12 competitors, and feature a captain and vice-captains. Sometimes players will have to play both morning and afternoon rounds, sometimes they'll play just one. The players are determined by the captain. 




Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka have been butting 
heads on the PGA tour a lot this year, and their rankings 
are quite similar. Is it truly a rivalry, or is it just a 
publicity build-up? Hard to say, but they're both very 
talented golfers and have been in tight competition on 
the same courses throughout the past few years. So ... 
maybe it's real, or maybe not. It makes for good press. 



What will make things very interesting this year are the mega-issues between two of the US players - Bryson DeChambeau and Brooks Koepka. There's been a lot of trash talk on the golf courses lately between these two, and here they are, both playing on the same team, and ranked almost identically. 




The Ryder Cup is being held in the USA this time, at 
Whistling Straits Golf Course, Wisconsin. Apparently 
it's as close to a true Scottish course as you can get without 
actually going to Scotland. It's set against Lake 
Michigan, and almost every hole has a clear line of 
sight to the lake. There are over 1000 (yes, that' not 
a type) bunkers, so if a shot goes off-line, it's probably 
in one of them. It's a stairstepped golf course, with 
a truly wicked 18th hole. This should be fun! 



I could go into a lot more detail, but I fully realize that golf isn't at the top of the list for a lot of my readers, so I'll just give you a link. If you're interested in knowing more about the Ryder Cup, who's on the teams for the USA and Europe, and how each phase of the competition is played and scored, here's a link for you. Enjoy! ( https://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/ryder-cup-scoring-rules-explained/1au9r4kppf1mb1fr09hx6jw08l ). I'm just going to try to understand the basics and hope that Hubby has a wonderful time watching the matches today. 


Have an excellent Friday, be kind to others, scratch a pet and treat them well, and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: