Saturday, August 14, 2021

A New Day, A New Refrigerator (Delivery Next Week)

Friday the -13th is usually a lucky day for me, and we had a busy day at the shop, so it wasn't all bad. But in the morning, when I pulled my veggie smoothie out of the refrigerator, I noticed the indented lid was filled with what looked like water. I couldn't figure out where this water was coming from, so I cleaned up the shelf, packed the drink to take to work, and headed out for the day. 




Our ten-year old refrigerator isn't cooling. Yes, we 
might be able to get it repaired, but these days, 
refrigerators have an average lifespan of 10 
years. For us, it was easier to just get a new one. 



An hour or so later, DH texted me wondering if I had noticed that the refrigerator wasn't cooling! Oh. Maybe that was related to the "water"? I knew I hadn't liked the way my smoothie had looked, and I had decided to just flush it and skip drinking it because I was worried about what might have gotten into the veggie mix. I hadn't noticed that the refrigerator was warmer than usual, though. DH texted something about a broken refrigerator and that he'd see me later, and signed off. 


We decided to check the refrigerator when we got home, and we could get measurements then for the dimensions of a refrigerator if we needed to replace the appliance. We had originally purchased this one in February, 2011, and added a 10-year major parts warranty to it (for $25 additional). The warranty ran out in February, and when we got home, we recognized that the refrigerator was truly dead. The freezer appears to be working OK, but the refrigerator is DOA. 




We really wanted this one - 25 cu ft, French 
Door LG, but they didn't have one in the warehouse 
and couldn't give an absolute date on delivery. 
So we passed and got one model down - 
3 cu ft smaller volume (which isn't my happy 
space), but it will fit into our space better. 



So we took measurements and headed out to our appliance store. We've shopped at Warners' Stellian since we moved up here, and DH's Dad had for years before that, knowing the owner, Mr Warner. They've always been good people to deal with. Apparently they're having problems getting product too, just like we are at my shop. DH was uncomfortable with a refrigerator that would take up 35-3/4 inches in our 36" wide space. We knew we had quarter-molding along the floor of the built-in, so the 36" space, was actually less than that at floor level. Most of the refrigerators we looked at were too wide. 




We ended up with this one, only 
22 cu ft, but a nice interior layout 
which we think we can use effectively. 
It will be delivered and installed on 
the 19th, so we're without refrigeration 
until Thursday night. 



After more than an hour with our very patient salesman, we settled on an LG 22 cu ft French Door Stainless Steel refrigerator/freezer. We turned down the five-year extended warranty for an additional $499 (too expensive!!) so only have the manufacturer's warranty for one year (no charge). We chose this appliance because it was in stock in their warehouse, so we're scheduled for delivery and installation on Thursday the 19th. If we had actually ordered the one we really wanted, we MIGHT have gotten it installed on the 31st, but no guarantees on that. It could have been later. No. Just ... No. 




I liked the interior of it. The left-hand 
door, which has the water dispenser, has 
full-depth shelving because the water 
dispenser is their super-thin version. I need 
shelf space for half-gallon containers. 



So, a couple of thousand $ down, two large bags of ice in coolers in my kitchen with what food we could salvage, and a hope the freezer continues to work properly until the new unit can be installed. Such are the doings of my life. Le Sigh ... LOL. I hope your day goes a bit smoother than my day did yesterday. 




No comments: