Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Surfing Through Changes in Life

We're finally set to get a bit of snow over the next day or so. It's rather bizarre - winter has really come late. although we had snow already in October. It's like winter stuck its toe into the state and decided it wasn't worth while spending the time all the way up here, focusing on the states south of us instead. Mind you, I'm NOT objecting. It's been really nice to not have to deal a lot with icy roads and snow piles. Realistically, however, a lot of our water relies on our snowcover, so we probably should start actually getting some. 



See that clumsy red arrow pointing to the green area? Yeah - that's
my snow cover. We're supposed to be white, but we're anything but.
We're supposed to get anywhere from 1"-3" over the next 24 hours
which will get us a step closer to where we should be, and no snow
doesn't mean warm - it's been REALLY cold. 



Today will be the first day back at work for Chickie since last week's big move. I gather from her Facebook posts that the cats are finally settling in and that some boxes have been successfully unpacked. Her Saturday text to me was along the lines of "Five hours, $1300, and a gazillion stairs and I'm almost finished." Ooof! She's at the new place now, though, and had two full days to get started unpacking and moving in. Space always seems so much larger in empty rooms. I'm quite sure her stuff will fill the rooms thoroughly without much effort. 



Our four businesses share a trash bin like this that is emptied every 2-3
days. We also have a recycling bin just as large along with four secondary
smaller recycling containers, and they are rarely enough for our once-a-week
pickups. Between the coffee shop/restaurant and the t-shirt printers, they
generate a lot of waste. 



I got rid of the four bags of trash from the back of my car pretty easily yesterday, and I'll need to put at least two more into my car tonight because my trash bucket is overflowing but I still have trash to remove from my house. That's what happens when you do a good cleaning - you end up with a lot of rubbish that you thought valuable at one time in your life. 



Something that was of great value to you as a child, might
have little to no value for you as an adult. 



How can value change for an object? That's both simple and complex, but it basically comes down to the fact that our values and tastes do change over time. That's why we have a variety of friends over the years, why we change the colors of paint on the walls, and why we read in this or that genre. We aren't static - we surf on our boards over the waves of time and as those waves grow and recede and push us inexorably back toward the shore, our perspectives alter with circumstance. 



I'm petrified of ocean waves, but admire surfers who will tackle
the big ones. 



Here's hoping the changes today bring into your lives will be good ones. Have an excellent Tuesday and I'll be back tomorrow. One more week of dry land exercises and then I'll finally be able to return to the pool. I can hardly wait! 




No comments: