Thursday, April 14, 2011

Reading

A discussion that started out as a crit on a chapter in a longer tale has morphed into a discussion about reading habits and has led me to thinking about my own.  I admit, I am one of those people who read the ending of a book before I am even half-way into the actual text.  I know, many of you will shudder at that admission, but it is what I do.  I was trying to think about how long I've done that, and it actually is relatively recent - maybe the last fifteen years or so.  I don't know why I developed that habit, but I do find that if the book is well written, it doesn't change my feelings about the book and I still go on to finish reading it. 


I also have found, that since I got my NookColor, I don't do that any more.  I could still do it - each book does have a table of contents and, by utilizing that, I could quite easily flip back and forth.  But I don't want to.  I want the plot to unfold in the way that the author has crafted.  I don't know if this is a function or aftereffect of my own writing efforts, or just a function of the fact that the book is an electronic one, but it is the way that I am currently reading.  I will state for the record, however, that there is nothing wrong with knowing the end of the ride.  It doesn't change the experience as you get there, and in some cases it actually can augment those experiences.  If I didn't love the journey, I would never read and re-read the books that I dearly adore as many times as I continue to do.  Why not choose a book that you dearly love to immerse yourself in today?  I'll be buried in Kuchner's "Swordspoint" - recommended highly by friends and having hooked me within a chapter. 

No comments: