Friday, April 1, 2011

Happy New Year (April Fool's Day)

So, we have Pope Gregory, the "wise" man who also eliminated two weeks out of the  month of October one year to allow the calendar to catch up with actual celestial time, to thank for celebrating our new year in the middle of winter.  Prior to the Gregorian Calendar, new year was celebrated at the end of March.  Actually, it's not that long ago that people still followed the old ways - even in the US, through the first few centuries (probably into the 1700's) the "colonies" celebrated their new year at the end of March - thus leading to the term of April fools when referring to those who held onto the old ways.  I'm happily an April fool.  It makes no sense to celebrate a new year when there is three feet or more of snow on the ground. 


April is a good month.  By now the Quickening is happening and the trees and grass are starting to feel renewed.  By the end of this month, the green will be out.  I love April, even though we're bound to get up to two more small snows and a fair amount of rain.  I need blue skies to be truly joyous, and it's hard to get a blue sky if it is raining (duh - I know...what do you want for 5 am?). 


I am going to enjoy my Friday.  I have two story prompts keeping me going on writing, and I still have so many other things to do, so I'm not worried that I'll be over-extended with jobs and such before you know.  So revel in this day of spring (or fall if you're south of the equator) and dance for the return of growing things.  Happy, happy...

No comments: