Saturday, March 19, 2011

MeMe

A friend posted the following list to put in order and annotate. 

Get married

Buy a house
Get Pregnant
Have baby #1

Have baby #2
Have baby #3
Have baby #4
Graduate college

Graduate high school
Meet significant other
Meet who you hoped was your significant other but wasn’t
Move out of parent’s house for good
Start college
Become gainfully employed
Buy a car
Get drunk for the first time
Get a cell phone
Get divorced


1 - Get drunk for the first time.  That would be at La Zona Rosa in Mexico City when I visited my "brother" for a summer.  I was sixteen and I had a magical summer with him. 
 
2 - Become gainfully employed.  I'm not sure if I've ever been "gainfully" employed, but I have worked, at least part time, since I was in high school.  So probably just about the same time zone as getting drunk above.  Maybe there's a link there? 
 
3 - Graduate high school.  This was back in the Dark Ages when books were chained in a scriptorium and only the clergy knew how to read and write...so a long time ago :-)
 
4 - Start college.  Ah, freedom.  And this comes together with: 
 
5 - Move out of parent's house for good.  Once I hit college, my trips home were restricted to long weekends.  I made sure that I also attended classes or field schools in the summer so that I didn't have to go back home for any length of time.  It kept the arguments between my mother and I (although I loved her very much, we clashed a lot) to a minimum. 
 
6 - Met who you hoped was your significant other but wasn't.  I went through this one a few times.  I met some wonderful guys out there, and a few who weren't so great.  My last serious guy is still a friend and my life was enriched and continues to be enriched by his friendship. 
 
7 - Graduate college.  Graduated from college and went on to a different college to get an advanced degree. 
 
8 - Meet significant other.  While at school for my MA, I met my DH.  We've been together for almost thirty-five years now, so I guess things are going well.  At least we have not killed each other yet - LOL. 
 
9 - Get married.  So we took the big move 31 years ago and got married and moved to the snow belt to a state that I never imagined living in.  It's not so bad :-)))
 
10 - Buy a house.  We moved into his grandmother's house and bought it a few months later.  We still own it, although we moved to a larger house several years later.  It's a cute house, just really small. 
 
11 - Have babies - NOT.  No children by choice. 
 
12 - Buy a cell phone.  We had mobile phones when they were very large and clunky.  When I got my first pocket phone I was amazed and loved it.  My DH, on the other hand, has had his cell phone for less than two years because I got one for him when I renewed my own plan at that time. 
 
13 - Buy a car.  I never had the money to buy a car on my own, although my DH bought two for us over the years.  But after my mother died and left me some money, AND I needed a new car, AND the PT Cruiser had just been introduced, AND I fell in love with the looks of the car.  I bought one.  I still drive it daily, and I still adore this car. 
 
 
So that's my meme list.  Have a great weekend and enjoy yourself.  Spring is coming, Ostara occurs on Sunday (that would be the Vernal Equinox) so celebrate and look forward to the warm months ahead. 

No comments: