Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year, Same Salt Mine

So, today it is back to the salt mine for me.  Work beckons, and I start the day out with a visit to my Chiropractor.  It was wonderful having two weeks in a row with two days off in a row in each one.  On Saturday, January 1st, I roasted a turkey for dinner per my DH's request.  The bird took longer to cook (my oven is rather wanky), but I also cook turkeys by instinct rather than written instructions, and I baste it - a LOT - which causes the oven to constantly be losing heat.  But it makes for a luscious and moist bird with a beautiful crackly brown skin.  Yummy!  My DH is loving picking at the carcass and he will continue to do so for the next few days.  One side of the bird is, as of today, completely eaten, and one side remains.  We also had the usual fixings - mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, gravy and cranberry sauce.  Our Thanksgiving, delayed by a little over a month. 

This wasn't my bird - I'm not that fancy to have all that
"stuff" around the bottom.  But mine looked that good
for all of 15 minutes while it sat before it was cut up and eaten.

On Sunday, my DH wanted to watch the football game at noon, and I wanted to go to Barnes & Noble to download some more books ($ of course, but worth it).  So, off I went to Barnes at noon, parked myself in a chair with my Nook, and read, searched, purchased, downloaded, etc for a couple of hours.  I decided to download some of the more recent Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey that I didn't already own, one more of Patricia Cornwell's novels, and a set of four novels by Ariana Franklin dealing with her character, the Mistress of the Art of Death, medieval historical fiction in the time of Henry II in England.  Fun.  This, plus the tales that my friend Surgical Steel passed on to me last week, should keep me busy for a while.  My DH says that he is happy to see my nose in books again - I haven't done a lot of reading of novels since my Lasik surgery.  I'm just delighted to be able to carry so many books in such a small package - happy me.  What a nice way to start my new year. 

1 comment:

seth said...

LASIK?!!! I'm envious, when and is it good?
seth
PS Hope this year's better than last!