Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day Three, and We're Getting Rain - WTF???

This crazy Winter is continuing to amaze me.  Today, the 30th of December, it will be warm enough (possibly up to 37 F, almost 3 C for my C friends), so the moisture that will be causing near blizzard conditions west and north of us, will be causing rain here.  That, however, means that we also have a great potential for icy roads.  Now, our road crews are wonderful.  No four-days of no side-street plows as New York is experiencing.  I'm quite sure that our highway plows have spread sand and salt liberally on our main roads.  The side streets could be icy, though, and frozen mist in the early morning could be treacherous.  Since I drive north to meet my friend Eleanor for breakfast on Thursday mornings, I'll have to be cautious this morning. 

Icy roads are NOT my favorite driving surface.
Caution is the name of my game today.

I wanted a better end result for our second day of the sale yesterday, but I'm still happy.  My concern is that our weather may start to impact our sales on Day 3 (today) and Day 4.  I do have some beads being held for purchase this morning from one of my more high-dollar customers, but one customer does not make a final total for a day.  I ended up getting into the shop shortly after 11 am yesterday, and worked until after 4 pm.  I was glad that I came in on my day off - we really needed all staff on hand during our busy times. 

My husband thought I would go for something
more colorful.  But basic black worked well
for me.  I'll design a cover for it and have Chickie
make me a custom one in 2011.

And thanks go out to all of you who have been sending me advice and stories to read on my Nook.  I purchased a screen saver and a lovely black holder yesterday.  Now it just looks like one of my larger sketchbooks.  I am starting to get a feel for its' capabilities and I am thrilled anew each day.  I have my nose deep in the latest Patricia Cornwell mystery, and purchased the E-books of JRR Tolkien's "The Hobbit", "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Silmarillion" - the first books on my Nook, as it should be.  I will continue to move books over to my Nook this evening, I have HoME on my computer and I'll flip those over so that I have them available also.  And I think I'll probably purchase the extended warranty.  I'm using this in coffee shops, restaurants, and carrying it around the house with me.  I really don't want to have to purchase a new one if I drop it or spill coffee on it.  That is unlikely, but that's what insurance is for - to cover the unlikely. 

No comments: