Monday, April 1, 2024

Pork and the Theatre and Cooking - Hmmmmm ... I Guess I'm Channeling Mom

Yesterday was a lazy day, and I was all in favor of it. I waved good-bye to March and today I am welcoming in April. DH was so exhausted that he took an afternoon nap, I worked on this and that, put the pork roast into the oven, pulled it out when my probe thermometer said it was done, and it was just about perfect. We returned it to the oven for five more minutes to get a bit more cook, but yum! We'll finish it off tonight - sometimes I just ADORE left overs - LOL. 




We both love our local grocery store's marinated 
pork roast. In fact, there's another one in the 
freezer already. I'm looking forward to another 
meal from this one for dinner tonight. 



With March ending, I shift my thoughts from my Dad to my Mom, whose birthday is early April. Mom was dynamic, ever-moving, with lots of friends and acquaintances, and lots of interests. She was a gourmet cook, absolutely worshiped Julia Child, and made friends easily. Dad just came along for the ride - LOL. Just like Dad, she loved opera, but her true love was musical theatre. I think "The Fantasticks" was her favorite musical. She traveled to the East Coast to visit her cousins and always went to at least one Broadway show while she was there. When I went to London with her, we saw two shows while there - Anthony Hopkins in "M Butterfly" (absolutely fabulous), and "Les Miserables" which I was less impressed with. 




I loved seeing Anthony Hopkins in "M 
Butterfly" on London's West End. It was a 
fabulous production and he was amazing 
in it. Mom adored the theatre, so I went 
along with her when she needed a partner. 
It wasn't a sacrifice to head to London with 
her for a week of museums, tours and theatres. 



Mom was very much a get-up-and-go person. When she was bored, she joined the local senior center, adding a new circle of friends from her other organizations like the Jewish Community Center. She had a definite sense of style, was a talented dress designer and seamstress, and just had a real ability to reach out to other people and make them feel like they were important. She had great expectations for me, and I fear I failed in most of them. But, I hope that she knew she was loved and cherished and appreciated. All of those things would have been important to her. 




Mom had (and now I have) the original 
publication of Julia Child's "The French 
Chef Cookbook". Mom watched every 
episode of hers on Public Broadcasting, 
and the cookbook was well thumbed and 
well used. 



So, as I get ready to jump into another week of this, that, and never enough time, I'll be grateful for the woman whose photo is above my desk at all times. Through the dark times and the light, she swam and floated, teaching me how to keep my balance when everything was crashing in around me. April is a good month. Have an excellent day, I'll be back tomorrow. Slava Ukraini and חיים עבור ישראל.



No comments: