Thursday, May 6, 2021

A House Tour - It Was SOOO Nice, But I Turned It Down

First of all, the house was beautiful. It was large, spacious, used top-level materials, and was well laid out. The property was well maintained, although some work needed to be done with the landscaping. The lot next door had a stone wall with a small garden at the back. "My" lot led to a drainage area, so I'm not sure if a garden similar to next door would be feasible. I have a sheaf of paperwork, and took some photos (although not enough, when I look back through them) but I'm passing on the house. Not because I didn't fall in love with it - I could live there very happily. More because financially, I think it's a bit out of my reach. 




The kitchen has solid maple cabinetry with brass 
fittings. It's not easy to see in this photo, but there's 
a center marble-topped workstation in front of the oven 
and refrigerator. The black marble is then carried 
throughout the L that comprises another counter-top 
and the sink area, which leads to the 5-burner gas 
cooktop. I could really work in this kitchen. I drooled 
over this kitchen! Not quite enough pantry space, 
though. 



It was a delight to look at it. I haven't toured a house for a long time. When I was in college I used to go through open houses regularly. I wanted to see what I liked and what I didn't like about homes I saw. I learned a lot about architecture, traffic flow, and those little amenities that make a home jump away from the "run of the mill" houses. Even after moving up here, DH and I attended the "Parade of Homes" for several years until he declared he wasn't interested any more. I'm rather sorry we fell out of that habit because I loved seeing what was new in home architecture. 




Facing from the other direction, it's easier to see what I'm 
talking about with the kitchen island. There's a lot of 
storage and cabinet space, although in a kitchen, there's 
never really enough - LOL. 



This home was built in 1996, so it wasn't "new", but it was well cared for. I'm showing older photos here, but they repainted the walls white - which I actually liked. I would have had to revamp one small bathroom completely (disgusting wallpaper) and the custom closet in the master bedroom wouldn't suit me well (I need more hanging and less drawer space), but the rest of the house was darned near perfect. Another day, another dream, another time. DH, of course, is still grumpy and still not talking much. I can't figure out if this is a health issue or if he's stressed, or what is causing it. But it's driving me crazy and I'm not sure how patient I'm supposed to be. 




The master bathroom was outstanding. The floor and 
the central element were beautifully dressed stone and the 
glass blocks for the shower was inspired. The doorway to the 
immediate left was a small alcove for the toilet, allowing 
it to be separated from the rest of the room - a nice touch. 
This room was quality from top to bottom. 



I think I'm actually pretty happy that today is a work day. Even with Chickie on the "injured reserve" list, it'll be nice to have a change of scenery for a few hours. I did get a chance to have a phone call with my attorney yesterday and I feel much better about how the law would look at our situation if I were to file for divorce. I really don't want to do that unless it's my final option, though. DH might be a grump, but he's MY grump, and he might drive me to drink (figuratively), but I truly do love him. I guess I have to take some bad with the good, even if the bad is overwhelming right now. I'm pretty resilient, I bounce. 




The upstairs featured this large loft space at the head of 
the stairs, and down a small hallway were two additional 
good-sized bedrooms and a nice bathroom. I could go a 
bit crazy in a house like this, but I really miss not having 
a basement. I've always had one except for our rental 
house in New Mexico. I contacted the realtor this morning 
and turned down the house. I adored it, but I'm not ready for 
this yet. 



Have an excellent Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow. Also, please be kind, stay safe and wear your mask. It's a courtesy, and a kindness towards others you may meet during your day. 




No comments: