Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Technology, Finance and a Day Off - How Things Can Combine In My Life

"Franken-Smaug" is getting more and more cranky - harder and harder to start up every morning. My new computer is on its way, and even though I'm dreading the horrid "transfer of data" from one machine to the other, I'll be grateful to get it done and handled. I'll probably grab an ethernet cord from the shop to facilitate transfer since I do have a docking station coming with the new laptop which should have an appropriate plug interface. The new ultra-thin laptops, like the one I purchased, only have USB-C plugs, and sometimes a USB-A and a mini card slot. I honestly don't remember what plugs my new computer has - with the docking station I can make any of them work. 



I'll be so happy when I finally have my new laptop 
in hand. Poor Franken-Smaug just wants to lie down 
for a long, long rest. I don't know if it's the 
motherboard or just the contacts of the power 
button, but he's very unhappy. 



I spent an hour scanning the bank statements last night and getting them sent to my loan officer. It took three emails to get them to her in-box which has a limit of 10 attachments. One of my friends queried "why don't they just check your statements for themselves? They're the bank, after all?" Good question, and one I had also asked. Apparently, it's illegal for anyone to have access to my bank statements outside of a very restricted group of people. We were missing one month's worth of statements during COVID, and the bank supplied copies to us, but that's as much as they're allowed to do. So now you know. 




It's not my first new computer and transfer of data from 
one to another, but it's always fraught with disaster peeking 
from every corner. I'm hoping for a smooth transfer, but 
I'll be moving from a Windows 8 system to a Windows 10 
system and there are bound to be glitches. 



DH is already up (it's 6:00 am). This is not his norm. This is my quiet time, and I'm not super happy sharing the computer room with him, even though he's quiet and playing "Lord of the Rings Online". He can't exist without the television, so instead of my quiet, the television is on with the financial channel spouting their thoughts on what's happened overnight in the nation and world. It's fairly easy to ignore, but I'm going to cut this short, take the trash out to the curb, and make my breakfast. Today will be a knitting day (my other sleeve is on my agenda) so I'll have lots of time to decompress after my morning errands. 




DH is excellent with financial stuff, where I get 
confused and rather frustrated. I've learned a lot 
over the years watching the markets and listening 
to them all day, but I'm no expert. He, on the other 
hand, can hold his own. 



Have a wonderful Wednesday. Stay safe, be kind and please wear your mask. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: