Thursday, January 21, 2021

Pomp and Circumstance Over, Now the Work Begins and Adventures in Knitting

I admit, straight out, that I did not watch the inauguration yesterday. I was busy spending three hours at the knitting machine trying to figure out what I wanted the cuff of my sleeves to look like. The sweater directions encouraged me to do ribbing, but ribbing on a knitting machine is boring. (I did a type of mock-ribbing for the hem of the sweater, but decided against it for the sleeves.) I could have just knit plain knit for a turned hem, but that's pretty boring too. So I took the opportunity to start playing with cables. 




I love cables in knitwear, and cables are something well 
within my wheelhouse on a knitting machine. I've decided 
to use cables on my sweater cuffs, and I probably will 
also incorporate some serious cables in my next sweater 
(if I don't do intarsia or fair isle instead). 



I love cables in knitting. They are my favorite element, and often have been the selling point of commercial knitwear I've purchased over the years. Cables and fair isle knitting techniques are two of the main reasons I purchased a knitting machine. I've said it before and I'll say it again with emphasis - I'm a HORRIBLE hand knitter - finding the entire process rather boring and too slow. The knitting machine frees me from that, makes it interesting and fast. Getting an entire sweater knitted in a day or two is seriously amazing. So, I worked on designing some cables for my sweater cuffs. 




Although these cables are on a hand-knit sample, I 
could do cables like these too. It just boggles the 
mind - the possibilities. I'm working this sweater to 
get an idea for sizing and decorative techniques, but 
then I can go crazy and make a bunch of different 
styles. 



I then remembered "Oh yeah! Inauguration! I suppose I should turn on the TV." I was just in time to see the new President and First Person exit their fancy cars and walk down the avenue toward their new offices. Listening to news commentators in the other room, apparently Kamala Harris started swearing in newly elected Senators, and Joe Biden started rescinding what he could of past Trump policies. I know Trump left Biden a letter in the desk of the Oval Office, but who knows what it said. Those Presidential "welcome" letters are rarely made public. One thing is certain, though. A snake is a snake through and through, and this nation hasn't seen the last of Donald Trump. 




It was a Secret Service agent's nightmare, when Joe Biden and 
his family left their cars to walk towards the White House. The 
strict security meant minimal crowds, however, which was a 
relief. But I'm sure the agents assigned to the new President 
breathed a sigh of relief when he was finally indoors. 



It is a relief to have kindness back in the White House, though. Joe Biden is a kind man - one who looks after his family and his staff and probably one who stops to pet lost kittens in the rain. He's a kind and a decent man who will do the best he can for a nation divided. I hope by the end of his four years that he's healed some of the wounds we're suffering through. 




Kamala Harris and her family also left their cars and walked 
the final 200 yards or so towards the Executive Building 
where she shed her coat and started working. I'm thrilled 
with her - she's smart and I don't think she'll take a lot of 
guff from people. She's a mom, and we all know moms have 
eyes in the backs of their heads and can see through lies. 



On that note, I'm out of here. I have a lot of work to do at the shop - lots of paperwork to finish up for my PPP Loan Forgiveness Application. I scanned almost everything in last night and am waiting for one piece of paper from DH, then I can send everything off to my banker. I'll be relieved to have it all out of my life and back into the file cabinet where it belongs. Have an excellent day and I'll be back tomorrow. As always, please stay safe, be kind, and wear your mask. 




No comments: