Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Thoughts About Calendars - Forging Ahead

It's turning into a busy week, and OMG, I can hardly believe that Thanksgiving is next week! I'm TOTALLY not ready. I bounced ideas off DH yesterday for our Black Friday and Small Business Saturday sales themes, and those seemed OK to him. So I'll draft the Email today and get it ready to send out over the weekend or early Monday morning. We also discussed holiday hours and days off. For a change, the calendar is being kind to us and we'll actually get several days off in a row after Christmas and for New Year this year. The past two years have been less than kind, so the Calendar Gods owed us. LOL




As an Archaeologist/Anthropologist, when I think of 
"calendar", I think of the Aztec calendar. The original, 
in the Museum in Mexico City, is amazing, beautiful, 
and breath-taking. It's in stone, not in color, but I rather 
liked this rendition in color and thought I'd share with you. 



I used my new tool on my holiday cards yesterday and it worked beautifully. I also began Stage 3 and that also is working, although I did destroy two cards while working things out. Still, it's working and I'm happy. It just means a slightly smaller mailing list this year, and I'm fine with that. There always seems to be enough for my friends and relations, and that's what's important. 




A bit farther south, and hundreds of years earlier than the 
Aztec civilization was the amazingly advanced civilization 
of the Mayan people. Their calendar appears above. They 
are renowned for their celestial observations and accuracy. 



Meanwhile, today is clicking along smoothly, so here it is, slightly after 5:00 am, and I'm already wondering "What's going to go wrong today?" It seems unlikely that I could possibly be ahead of things this much, so I have to re-examine what I might have forgotten. But I'll continue working on Stage 3 today and should be into stage 4 by the end of the week. That's almost the final stage, so I'm catching up to my lost time and feeling more comfortable. I might even be able to include a small gift in each card, although it's not the focus this year. 




The Sumerian calendar introduced lunar calculations. 
Although not as old as the Mayan calendar, it is the 
basis from which sprang the calendars of Babylon, 
the Hebrews and Muslims, and other cultures in the 
Near East. If you're interested in learning more about 
the Sumerian calendar, here's a link



I'm going to wrap this up and continue staying ahead of schedule. I hope you have a glorious Tuesday - that something wonderful happens to you today, and that you go to bed tonight happy with what the day brought to you. Stay safe, be well, and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: