Saturday, September 26, 2020

Wrapping Up the Week - Autumn, Housecleaning and Weaving

DH is without a project, now that the woodshed is completed, so yesterday, he cleaned house. He needed to do some serious cleaning in the Den. He had started it, but there were still tools and wood that needed to be put away. When I came down for my daily 2 miles on the treadmill this morning, I looked and approved - I can almost see my spinning wheels without a lot of stuff blocking my access. Yippee! 




Fall continues at my house. I wanted to share this 
photo of the tree in our upper yard. To the left is 
an ornamental crabapple, still green, and directly 
in front is yet another maple, in glorious golden 
hues. To the far left you would find my tomato 
plants, the ferns, and the steps leading down 
to the lower yard where we have the patio and 
the castle walls. 



He also did a serious clean in the kitchen, some of the kitchen cabinets, and the pantry. I can actually see the counter! I'm totally thrilled about this, and I'm going to do my best to keep it this way for a while. It's a joy to actually see the countertop uncluttered - his open bags of coffee have a new home, he found room for my oatmeal box in the pantry, and I'll be sure to put my oranges in a bowl when I get them in a month or so. Now if I can just stop his collecting receipts on the counter, I'll be almost deliriously happy. LOL




I own some lovely bowls, so my winter oranges 
will look quite nice in one of them in a month or 
so when I start buying them for my lunches. This 
lovely picture is by Aleksey Vaynshteyn, an 
artist in New York. 



I'm continuing to work on my shawl when I have time. I was free last night for a while and got two rows woven in. It's slow progress, but I'm quite happy with how it's looking. Some of the threads are poorly spun, but I'm managing to work through that too, and I have plenty of silk still on the takli, in case I need to pull out a length to add to a thread. I know that once it's woven, tied and fulled, it will have structural integrity, so I'm not massively worried about the occasional poorly spun fiber. It's actually proving to give a bit more visual interest to the weave, so as frustrating as it sometimes is, it's actually a win/win. 




My shawl is being woven on a pin loom, a much 
larger version of this. I use a very small pin loom to 
work out patterns and try things before moving to 
a larger venue. The pin loom I made for my shawl is 
48 inches square with 900 individual warp threads. 
It's weaving up beautifully, just what I had hoped 
despite small bumps in the road. It's time consuming, 
though. Until I get past the 1/2-way point, each row 
is taking 30-40 minutes to weave across. 



All in all, when I look back over the week and what I've accomplished at work and at home, I'm quite satisfied. This week has been a good one, I can't really complain. Have a wonderful weekend and I'll be back on Monday. Stay safe, be kind, and please wear a mask. 



No comments: