Monday, September 28, 2020

Sunday Wasn't Too Bad (Except for Football), and Thoughts on Yom Kippur

Although I had been threatened with the chore of cleaning the library/study area on Sunday, it never came true. We put a huge load of brush into the truck and took it to the compost first thing on Sunday morning, then settled down for football. At least DH settled down for football. I sat down at my loom and worked on my shawl some more. That took us through the afternoon, while his team lost. Later in the day, my own team also lost, and both of us now have stellar (NOT) records of 0-3 three weeks into the season. *le Sigh* - LOL. Good thing I don't take football very seriously. 




I really loved this maple leaf from my Chestnut Maple 
tree in my front yard. It was holding a swimming pool 
of water from the night's short rainstorm, just waiting 
for a needy bird or critter to take a drink. 



Today is Yom Kippur. As a cultural Jew, I don't celebrate the Day of Atonement, but I acknowledge it as one of the High Holy Days of the Jewish calendar. It's a day to review the previous year, acknowledge personal failings and pledge to do better in the year ahead. It's a day of fasting and abstinence, not even a bath or shower, no sex, no food or drink. Many religions have their days of abstinence, for a variety of reasons, and I've always wondered why any deity would care about what their followers were eating and drinking. Don't they have bigger things to worry about, like war and pestilence? Yom Kippur supposedly started when Moses smashed the original Ten Commandments after returning from his sojourn with the Deity and coming upon the ex-slaves celebrating idols. But, upon his temper tantrum, the population atoned for their actions, were given a second set of Ten Commandments, and proceeded on their way through the next 40 years of wandering a very small section of desert. 




This smaller maple leaf was also kissed by the  
rain overnight, but instead of a pool, it had 
small droplets perfectly poised on it's 
surface. It was so nicely framed by the 
fern frond too. I couldn't resist a quick photo. 



While cleaning my sewing area up two weeks ago, I came across a bobbin case for my old Bernina sewing machine. I had been given the machine while I was in college when my old one broke. My Mom had purchased it, knowing it was a solid, well-behaved basic machine, and it served me well for many years. I had it reconditioned and gave it to my oldest niece for a holiday gift in the early 1980's. I know the bobbin cases are an expensive little item, and absolutely necessary for that type of machine, so I messaged Cat, asking if she still had/used the Bernina I had given her so many years ago. When she said "Yes", she still used it, I asked if she wanted the bobbin case. She was thrilled - she only had a single one of them. So, I'll pack it up and get it sent to her this week. I love giving things to good homes. 


I've put photos of leaves and water into today's post for all of you. Autumn is taking over quickly, my back yard is getting filled with maple leaves and pine needles. Yesterday, while packing the brush into the truck for the compost, I noticed it had rained overnight and some of the fallen leaves were holding either droplets, or open mini-pools of water - perfect for the birds and other critters. I thought I'd share with all of you. I'm wrapping this up, heading out the door and starting my week. Have an excellent Monday and please, be kind, be safe and wear your mask. 





No comments: