Thursday, July 23, 2020

Fruits and Vegetables - I Guess I'm Hungry This Morning

Yesterday was crazy-busy, and since I forgot to bring my grocery shopping list with me (I usually take a phone photo of the list before heading out to the store), I ended up taking two separate trips to the grocery store. Fortunately, it's only a mile away from my house, so it wasn't a huge problem. We are set with fruit and ice cream for a while, though, with more strawberries and some organic grapes that are absolutely YUMMY joining the cherries and watermelon we already had. 



I took a chance on some organic grapes yesterday, and I'm
really happy I did. They're awesome. Small, but totally
packed on the branches and so sweet! I'm really going
to enjoy eating these for my breakfast and lunch. 



Our raspberry crop is almost finished for the year and it was outstanding this year - I'm so happy. It's hard for me to estimate how much we harvested, since we were out there every one or two days, but I was very pleased with the crop this year. It might be a stay-at-home year, but our plants decided to try to make us happy. 



My container tomato isn't this fancy and the
tomatoes aren't red yet, but it's bearing really
well and I expect to get a lot of lovely tomatoes
from it. The leaves screamed "I need fertilizer"
to me, so I added calcium to the normal
fertilizer DH gives it. Calcium is important
 for a container tomato. 



My container tomato is filled with green fruits and those should start coming ripe very soon. It was looking calcium deprived, so I washed, dried and crushed the eggshells from Sunday morning's breakfast and added them to the container's soil yesterday, then gave it a good water. My friends on my FB Organic Gardening group recommended that to another poster and it seemed like a good idea for my plant as well. My cherry tomatoes are slowly starting to ripen also. I can hardly wait until I'm getting bunches of ripe, off-the-plant tomatoes. 



My cherry tomatoes aren't doing as well as these, but they'll
get there. August is usually my high month for my tomato
plants. DH planted me three cherry tomato plants and the one
container tomato plant this year, so I should have a LOT of
lovely tomatoes to eat and maybe even to roast. 



Today is starting out a bit slowly and comfortably cool (very nice for a change), but I'm sure it will shift into high gear quite soon. We'll be comfortable today before swinging back into heat for Friday and then back down a bit for the weekend. It won't be as hot as last week when we sent all of that lovely heat to the East coast to melt friends of mine there. We're supposed to be a bit more seasonable for this weekend. 

On that note, please try to have a positive day with fun activities, and careful personal interactions. Be safe, be well, and please, wear a mask. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: