Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Fantastic Worlds in Computer Games - I've Played for a LONG Time

One of the reasons I play MMPRPG (Massive Multi-Player Role Playing Games) is to get a feel for other worlds and characters. Almost twenty years ago DH and I began playing "Dungeons & Dragons On-line" and loved it. We were sucked into a fantastical world of monsters, heroes and just plain folks. It was a huge step up from the days of "Might and Magic VI - The Mandate of Heaven" (my favorite of the long series) and "Bards Tale". 



DH and I started playing games on the computer WAAAAY back when
with Wizardry - a text-based game of "Turn right, walk 20 steps. You have
walked into something hard." I didn't get that involved in computer
games until I had video, and video games in a fantasy world
changed my leisure time activities for life. My favorite game of the
early era was "Might and Magic VI:". 



We fell in love with D&D online. Played it often and knew it very well. I still kick myself when a mistaken "click" of my mouse sold a rare sword to a merchant and I couldn't reverse the transaction. ARGH! The developers of D&D Online came out with a call to Beta a few years later - a Beta I was VERY interested in - one for Middle Earth. 



We joined into the world of Dungeons & Dragons
on-line very early, more than fifteen years ago. It
was immersive, wonderful, and sometimes
frustrating. DH was more patient (or persistent)
than I was and am with on-line games. 



Lord of the Rings Online beta came live more than 13 years ago, and I was brought into the Shire and the larger Middle Earth. The books I had been reading since they were first published as paperbacks in the 1960's had come alive. I never looked back. I've been playing LOTRO ever since - sometimes intensively, sometimes taking a break of a few weeks or months, but always coming back to a world I love. 



The Midsummer Festival starts out by your assistance with and
attendance at the wedding of Aragorn and Arwen. Assisting them
gives you a basic understanding of the levels of Minas Tirith and
the types of quests that will be available in the Festival. 



Why mention this? I know it's old history to some of you. I mention it because the new Festival - the Midsummer Festival, has got me trapped, and I'm thoroughly enjoying a Fest once again - this time in Minas Tirith. Each character playing starts out with a long intro - the wedding of Aragorn and Arwen and the wedding banquet following. It's visually stunning and great fun. Then a large variety of quests open up for the actual Midsummer Festival. They take the player to and fro and up and down Minas Tirith. Total props to the programmers - Minas Tirith is stunning - beautifully conceived with surprises throughout each of the seven levels of the massive city. 



Minas Tirith is huge, and I'm always running over people
with my horse as I work my way from level to level. I'm
really impressed with the programming that went into
creating the King's city. 



If you have some time to waste and are already playing LOTRO, I recommend the Midsummer Fest. It only goes until July 20th, so start as soon as you can. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy exploring Minas Tirith in all of its glory. Have a great Tuesday and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: