Saturday, February 2, 2019

Football - "Hand Egg" Just Doesn't Have The Same Cachet

Tomorrow is Super Bowl and the official end of the 2018-219 football season here in the USA. On Monday we officially turn the term "football" back to the rest of the world and resign ourselves to a world where soccer replaces American football in the minds of millions (probably billions since soccer is the most popular team sport in the world). Sorry, I fail to see the appeal, but I know that mystification is shared by soccer fans who look at American football with raised eyebrows and rolled eyes. 



I have no idea how we got the name "football" for the game
we play, but I don't think the term is going to change anytime
soon. The "National Handegg League" just doesn't have
the same sound. 



DH went to the store and shopped for Super Bowl goodies yesterday. I saw Pizza Rolls in the freezer and I think he got shrimp too, since he was asking about cocktail sauce. I'm not sure what else he might have purchased, but I'm quite sure I won't starve. It might not be the most healthy food to eat, but I'll enjoy it for my one day of watching two teams I really don't care about hopefully playing an interesting game. If the final game is anything like the two division championships of two weeks ago, I'll be happy. Those games were outstanding and right down to the final whistle. 



For those of you who may not know what a "pizza roll" is, it basically
is like a mini-eggroll, but stuffed with pizza stuff (pepperoni, green peppers,
etc) instead of the normal meats for eggrolls. They're not something I
eat often, usually only for Super Bowl each year, but I do enjoy them. 



Although we are above zero now, yesterday started out at -5 F. That was a VAST improvement over the -25+ F we had been experiencing on Wednesday and Thursday, but it was still crisp. As I walked into the store yesterday, it felt colder than usual. Looking at my thermostat, the interior temperature was down to 55 F and still falling. Checking the furnace, it wasn't functioning properly and we had no heat. After doing what I could (resetting the breaker, making sure there wasn't anything I was capable of doing), I contacted my landlord who told me who to call for a repair. His recommended repair guy was at my door by noon and replaced the blower motor which had malfunctioned. 



The entire bottom half here is the blower which
is operated by a motor. The motor on our furnace
had burnt out - not surprising considering how
hard that furnace had been working on our
sub-zero days. 



By the time I left that night, our store temp was up to 66 F - still cool, but at least not totally frozen. I turned the thermostat up a few more degrees for the overnight hours and hopefully we'll be closer to 68 F when I get to the shop today. If not, I'll have to call the repair guy again and have him come by on Monday to double-check things. It's an expense, but we must have heat. We have a lot of winter still to go through. 

On that note, have a wonderful and crazy weekend. Stay warm, stay safe, and be happy. I'll be back on Monday. 




No comments: