Thursday, January 3, 2019

Crazy, Cluttered and Confused

I'm going just a little bit crazy today - returning to work after four days off and facing a backlog of work along with mail orders to fill and what will probably be a million questions to answer. Oy! But, that's how new years start and how we progress through. January will be peppered with days when Chickie will be off either helping her Mom move to the new house or getting her own stuff moved over to the new digs. She closes on the house in four days and has until the end of the month to vacate her apartment. She's been living there for 11+ years, so it's a lot of packing moving and cleaning. 



A friend of Chickie's hired "Two Men and a Truck" to
get her moved on the 16th. I used the firm when I closed
my Mall of America shop and moved everything into
the St Paul location. They were good and efficient. 



DH and I are looking at a similar mess - we're not moving, but we are cleaning, donating, disposing and generally trying to get a handle on what we really want when we retire. Space is finite in my home - I'm not the ever-expanding universe. No, instead I have walls that just won't budge. I'm trying to make firm decisions on what I want to concentrate on when I retire, and since I'm a multi-media artist, it's really difficult to decide what, of the many media types I have used, I will actually want to keep. So hard! 



Space might be infinite, but my home certainly is not. I need
to clean, donate and make space for my other stuff. What a
mess! 



In that vein, my long-time acquaintance, a realtor, sent her weekly newsletter this morning and it dealt with ... decluttering a home. How appropriate! She discussed in short paragraphs three popular methods people use to clear things out - Swedish Death Cleaning, the KonMari Method, and the Four Box Method. I'm sure each method has good points. Have any of you used things similar to these to declutter? 



I don't know much about this method, so I'll check it
out. I know the other two methods I've mentioned, and
will set up the four-box method right away. That one
is an easy one to work with to start. 



I also got an email this morning that a long-time beading friend and colleague in California is selling her shop after 33 years in business. Although I knew she had been thinking about it, she's decided to take the step and concentrate on her workshops and beading retreats. I can't quite figure out exactly what she is selling since she states "inventory negotiable" in her email. She doesn't own her building, she rents it. So is she just selling the fixtures and the name? I'm confused. 



I'm confused. Is she selling her store, or just selling her name
and location? How can inventory be "negotiable"? Yeah - I'm
confused.....



So we all seem to be downsizing - except for Chickie and her Mom who are actually upsizing into their new duplex home. It's hard to get rid of things you've accumulated through a lifetime. What a mess! Here's hoping you have a marvelous Thursday and I'll be back tomorrow. Why not clean out a corner or two in your bedroom ... just to start - LOL. 





No comments: