Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Today Is Scheduled To the Max!

I am rarely so busy on my "day off" that I have to write myself a schedule to make sure I get everything done and appear on time for appointments. Today is one of those rare days and it's already driving me crazy. Still - I'll get through things because I have to. My time is compressed because I have a hair consultation today shortly after noon, and that punches a hole in my day. I need the consultation, but have to schedule around it. 



Wow! Do people actually do this? Do they have the
time to do this and still make the schedule and have
a life? I don't think I'm really good with daily
schedules, but I'd sure have a clean house - for a
nanosecond! 



As I mentioned a month or so ago, I've been losing a LOT of hair. I'm pretty sure I have Alopecia Areata - an auto-immune skin disease causing loss of hair. Those of you who follow American Ninja might remember Kevin Bull who also has this disease. What it's doing for me is dramatically thinning my already-baby fine hair. When I look in the mirror now, I think I'm looking at Ebeneezer Scrooge - NOT the vision I want when I'm looking at myself. So ... I'm heading off to a hair consultation at noon. 



I'm far from alone, and I've had friends who fought cancer
who also had associated hair loss, so it's far from rare. But
it's really annoying me. I'm not vain, but I also don't want
to hide under scarves and hats for the next 20 years. 



I'm not expecting any miracles, but I'm hoping that something can be done stylistically to make me feel a bit less ugly. I'm wearing a lot of scarves and headbands now, and that's one solution, but I'm hoping suggestions might exist for something that won't require my being covered up all of the time. There's a good chance that my hair growth may resume when my stress levels reduce, but I don't see that happening until late next year. I need to get an appointment set up with my dermatologist, but that won't happen until 2019 either. I'm just too busy at this time of the year and working six days a week doesn't help either. 



I'm starting to feel like I'm turning into a female version
of Ebeneezer Scrooge. I'm NOT this bad, but sometimes
I feel like it. I'm hoping to get a hairstyle that might
look attractive while I get this condition under
control. 



I chose the salon I'm going to based on a search I made for a salon that works well with chemotherapy patients, because my hair appearance isn't that different right now. Additionally, I'm so sensitive to chemicals and additives, having someone who can take that into account seemed wise. I made the consultation appointment a week ago and I'm actually looking forward to it, even though my hair is generally uncooperative and I may not actually get a hairstyle for another week or so. Today is only a consultation, after all.  



Any short hairstyle I end up getting will have to be easy
care, survive my daily swims, and take into account the fact
that my hair is quite literally baby fine. It's a real challenge! 



But I guess it's time for a change. I've been wearing my hair long and untouched for years and years now. It's time for a style that might pull me through this latest mess and return a bit of self-confidence my direction. It certainly can't hurt to get an opinion from a professional, right? So, on that note, it's time to get back to the swimming pool. At least there's one constant in my life right now, and I'm very grateful for my morning workouts in the water. Have an excellent Wednesday and I'll be back tomorrow. 





No comments: