Monday, November 5, 2018

Sleep, NaNoWriMo and Get Ready To Vote Tomorrow

Did all of my US friends enjoy their extra hour of sleep on Saturday/Sunday? I managed to indulge in about 30 minutes of the additional 60, which for me is pretty good. Then I settled into resetting all of the clocks that don't auto-set and started a long day of football, LOTRO, working on my holiday cards and more football. All in all, it was a really nice day - even when I temporarily broke the downstairs television by pushing some unknown button or combination of buttons. It took DH about 20 minutes to get it working properly again. I guess I can work with computers, but TVs mystify me. 



I wish I was doing NaNoWriMo this year. I've had a story perched in
my brain for a few months now and NaNo would help me flesh it
out and see if it could go anywhere. But November is way too
hectic to indulge in writing. At least it is this year. 



I know several of you are doing NaNoWriMo this year and I wish I was joining you, but no. I'm not that much of a fool. My time in November is always so constricted and I have too many things on my plate to indulge in writing 50,000+ words during the month. I enjoyed it during the years I was a participant, though, and I still enjoy the daily NaNoWriMo comic which arrives in my in-box every morning. I hope all of you participating succeed in your personal goals. 



Sales of e-books have been increasing annually while those of
print books have been decreasing. In 2017, the sales of e-books
surpassed that of print and audio formats for the first time. 



Writing usually requires some imagination and the ability to put characters, scenes and occurrences into a coherent form for an end reader you've never met. Not so easy, really. I think most authors write because they have to - there's a bug under their skin that becomes unbearable if they don't write. But the audiences they target with their words are different. Not everyone is interested in every genre and not every author's words will resonate with everyone. That's OK. With e-book formatting and self-publishing working alongside the more traditional publishers and hard-copy with the additional format of audio available for all, there's a book out there for everyone and an audience for every author. 



The ads are obnoxious and non-stop. At this point, I think over 90% of
the ads on TV are political. SO ANNOYING! 



So, I hope you all have a wonderful Monday. Don't forget to build voting into your schedule tomorrow if you live in the US. My morning will be totally messed up because of voting, but DH and I want to be at the polls when they open tomorrow morning and just get it out of the way ASAP. I'm hoping we get some time away from political advertising on the television. It's been non-stop and I hate them all! I'm going to swim out some of my election ad frustration and then try to have a good day at work. I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: