Monday, November 12, 2018

It's Monday - Random Thoughts re Movies and Government Paperwork

Since Veteran's Day fell on a Sunday, today is a Federal Holiday to commemorate the date. That means a lot of people will have the day off, but not me. Like most small businesses, I can't afford to be closed except for major holidays, so we'll be open for business and it will be a regular day in paradise. The weather people are promising we'll warm back up by the weekend which will give us an opportunity to rake up the leaves which have fallen. I suspect it will be our last hurrah before winter roars in, so we'd better get moving on them. 



Bohemian Rhapsody for me was all about the music. Of course I cared
about Freddy Mercury, and the film could have gone much farther into
his sexuality, but it didn't and it was still a good film, worth watching,
and well worth the listen because ... the music!!!! 



"Bohemian Rhapsody" was marvelous. The music was fabulous, of course, and even though the story of Freddy Mercury was slightly altered, the changes were pretty minor. The script dealt with his family quite well, and treated his AIDS in a dignified manner, but didn't go into either subplot in great depth. It's been argued that the film pushed Freddy's sexuality under a carpet, but I didn't feel that way. I thought it kept the focus on the music, so it was successful to me. Even DH enjoyed it, although he's not a Queen fanboy. I, however, thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it highly. 



The next film I want to see is "Grinch". I love the story, have seen
all of the various permutations over the years, and have to add
this to my viewing schedule. 



Chickie and I are looking at going to see "Grinch" soon, probably next week. It hasn't gotten the greatest reviews, but it hasn't been panned either. Basically, the reviews are saying that it doesn't bring anything new to the genre, but that it's better than the Jim Carrey version. Not high praise, but I still want to see it. 



Mountains of paperwork, that's what I'm generating
just to get our plans locked for retirement. It's
totally ridiculous and we'll be shredding things
for months! 



DH's Medicare application is now in the hands of the SSA in Chicago. I envision a piece of paper floating down from a lit opening far above, and landing atop a mountain of other applications. A creaking door opens at the bottom of the vast mountain of paperwork and a single, hooded being reaches out, pulls a single page from the stack reaching far above his head. The pile shifts as the drudge turns, leaves the room. As the door closes behind him, several more pages float down from the light onto the dark mountain. *sigh* 

So, it's Monday and the start of a new week. Go out there and make it a good one and I'll be back tomorrow. 




No comments: