Saturday, November 10, 2018

Freddy Mercury and Veterans Day in the Cold

It's been a really stress-filled week, and tempers have flared a bit over a few days, so DH is giving me Sunday - a gift of whatever I want to do (since his football team has a bye week anyway - LOL). Still, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. We're going to an early showing of "Bohemian Rhapsody" and I'm really looking forward to it. A lot of my friends have already seen the movie and everyone was really happy with it because of the music - which really is the major reason to have a bio-flick about Freddy Mercury anyway. 



In general, "Bohemian Rhapsody" has gotten good reviews, and it's really
all about the music, isn't it? But there are serious inaccuracies and
liberties taken with the movie so, if you're interested in checking
them out, here's a link to one website. 



It's only the 10th of November, but we're in the deep freeze. If this is how the season is starting, I'm already dreading January and February - our true deep freeze months. It's 12 degrees F right now, -11.11 C for my Celsius friends. COLD! We're supposed to climb out of this deep hole into the low 50's (10 C) by next week Sunday. These are the days when it's next to impossible to figure out what to wear and I guess that's how it's going to be. Temperature swings like this also lead to colds and flu, so I'm trying to dress accordingly and stay healthy - a good goal. 



I guess I'm going to be all bundled up for winter today as I head
out. I haven't snapped on my imitation fur hood yet, but that's
coming too. I think my hat and scarf will be good enough while
I wait for the doors to be unlocked at the YMCA. 



I'm thinking a brunch after the movie might be delightful, and then returning home and continuing painting my holiday cards. I've fallen a bit off schedule over this past week because of all of the Medicare debacle. Oh ... got an automatic letter response from the SSA. Apparently our home office is in Chicago and we should have a response within 30 days. That's really pushing things out to the max and means DH won't be officially enrolled in the health care policy we wanted until January. We'll have to see what happens, but I suspect telling him to make an appointment at our local branch to try and push things along won't be welcomed or obeyed. We have other things we have to concentrate on now. It is as it is and we've done our best. Miracles can still happen ... probably won't, but it's still a possibility. 



Now it's a waiting game and I'm not a patient person. 



Tomorrow is Veteran's Day - November 11th. I've lived through too much war and conflict and by now I think that rage and anger are endemic to the human race. At this rate we'll be a small blip on the Earth's history, far eclipsed by the long eons of the dinosaurs; and, of course, the insects will inherit the earth - or what remains of it after we've destroyed it. *sigh* 



World War I was titled "The War to End All Wars". That,
unfortunately, didn't last long. Despite our bloody
history, we still should take some time to remember
and honor all veterans - it's a tough job and I certainly
couldn't do it. 




So, I'm going to wrap this up and call it a week. I'm looking forward to swimming some of this stress off in the pool and then bundling up in my parka, hat, gloves and scarf. I still need new gloves, but what I have will do, and I just have to roll with the punches - I've been TOO stressed over the past month or so. Have a happy Saturday and a great weekend, and I'll be back on Monday. 




No comments: