Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Dreams - The Psychology of Fun

Do you dream about people? Of course many of you do. Dreams are interactions between your subconscious and the dream world, but how you interact within them differs by each person. Many of my friends and family interact in dreams with people that they know - family and friends. Although I've interacted with a few friends in dreams, I've never interacted with family as I can recall. DH dreams sometimes feature me alongside him, but I've rarely had dreams with him present, and when I have, he's usually in a supporting role to my character. 



Dreams are important to mental health. For a long time they
have been used as a basis for psychological analysis, but
I'm not sure they are the "...window to the mind..." that they
are often portrayed as. 



Why think about dreams in today's blog? Because last night I had a dream where my partner-in-crime was someone I've never met before and he spoke Russian, a language that I don't speak. I was waiting for him to arrive, and he finally did - late - and after a discussion (not really sure how I actually understood what he was saying since I don't speak Russian and didn't speak it in the dream either) - we segued. 



I certainly wouldn't have had much luck riding a bicycle
at speed through a flooded field like this one. Nope - I think
I'd end up on the flooded ground very quickly. 



Dream segues are rather odd shifts in movement, perspective or time (or sometimes all three). Suddenly, from the discussion we were having, he was one of a group of bicyclists, and I was a spectator, also on a bike, but among a larger group of spectators, attempting to get my bike through a flooded, plowed field of black earth. The standing water was quite deep, and I was thrilled because my bike was cutting through the water like it was air. 

Obviously physics gets tossed to the wind in dreams. In real life, the water would have created a serious drag against the bicycle's progress and if that didn't stop me dead in the field, the plowed furrows of earth I was crossing over (which would be mud under the standing water) certainly would have. I dream and then awaken, and then I wonder what on earth I had been thinking! 



Although I've had dreams of urban racing down roadways, I'm just
as likely to be racing through overpasses and over highway gaps,
or running through abandoned structures and swinging across
to far-off balconies and hidden hallways. Dreams can be a lot
of fun, and I certainly am much more physically fit in them! 



I'm quite sure dreams aren't reality, not even a secondary reality, but mine often deal with racing various vehicles (the cars are a lot of fun), and water often plays a prominent role, I frequently dream of unusual architecture, housing and industrial, and architectural features that create obstacles to be overcome. My subconscious has a field day when I allow it to roam unchecked. 

What do you dream about? Are your dreams firmly grounded in reality, or do your dreams allow you to suspend the mundane and fly among the stars? Share with me - how much of your true reality do you pull with you into your dreams? Have an excellent Tuesday and I'll be back tomorrow. 


No comments: