Friday, November 16, 2018

Excited About A Cheese Grater? Yeah!

I'm getting excited about a cheese grater. It's silly, I know, because there's so much else to get excited or to wrap my head around in my life right now. So much else ... except I'll be getting my new cheese grater delivered at the shop today and I can't wait! 



I really like cheese, and enjoy some on my nightly
salad. It's less expensive and you often can get a
better variety of cheese in block form instead of
pre-shredded. 



Why a cheese grater? It's pretty simple - I like cheese on my nightly salad and a few months ago I found a lovely light cheddar with cranberries block cheese in my grocer's dairy section. It's a beautiful, hard cheese and shreds wonderfully, so I've been buying these blocks and shredding them on my old straight grater that must be almost as old as I am. It's a lot of work, and I always live with fear of shredding my fingers too. It's also messy - my counter ends up strewn with cheese bits. 



This is the type of cheese grater I've used for many years, and
I keep it in pristine condition. But it's not the easiest to use
and I'm always afraid of grating myself on the grids.
(I'm rather disturbed by the photo of the
grater on top of the antique hand too. EWWWW!) 



I had just about had it when I shredded a large block on Wednesday, so started researching rotary cheese graters. Yes - I went online and researched. I could have gone to my local Target store, or Walmart, but instead I went online to find out what to look for in a rotary cheese grater. I discovered I wanted stainless steel for cleanliness, interchangeable discs for fine or coarse shreds (along with a slicing disc), and something that wouldn't take up a lot of drawer space since storage in my kitchen is cramped. 



I'm getting this one delivered at the shop
today. It consistently hit the top-10 lists
when I researched, and since it's totally
made of steel, it will clean easily and
keep well. Now to find the perfect place
to store it. 



If the grater had been expensive, I would have passed. My straight grater works and I don't like wasting money on toys. But the grater I chose was less than $20, and I'm calling that money well spent to save myself from shredded fingers and to make my workload a bit easier. I ordered a LUVKITCHEN rotary grater from Amazon and it is scheduled for delivery at the shop today. I'll be doing the happy dance, and since the design allows it to be hung inside a cabinet, I'll find the perfect place for it to reside. Next time I need to shred a block of cheese, I'll be ready! 

On that note, have a truly wonderful Friday. We're supposed to have one nice day (today) followed by several inches of snow overnight. Our winter has come 1-2 months ahead of schedule and I'm NOT happy about it (although I'm sure the skiers and snowmobilers are ecstatic). For me, this is WAY too early, but it is what it is. I'll be back tomorrow and we'll see if the weather predictions were correct. 




No comments: