Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Getting Back Up - The Roly-Poly Toy of Life

I woke up this morning in a bit of a panic - just a bit, though. Nothing really hits me into a true panic mode, I guess because I seem to always land on my feet, at least I have in more than 60 years walking this earth. I've made good decisions and some really poor ones, and somehow have stumbled onward. 



Roly-Poly toys are weighted to return to their upright
positions when pushed or pulled. Babies play with
them, kids play with versions of them, and adults
sometimes feel like them when life hits them over the head. 



In a way, life is rather like the force hitting one of those roly-poly toys, isn't it? You stand up straight and proud, facing each day, and sometimes something or someone comes along and gives you a push. Or they even strike out at you. You fall down. Your reactions can vary then. You can either stay down and weep, crying out against the injustice of it all, or you can get back up, dust off, and face the fray once again. Yes - that's life. 



Of course I couldn't resist showing you these blow-up Minion
kids punching bags. These bottom-weighted punching
bags are the next stage up from the roly-poly toys of
babies. 



Is that a good part of life? It's really hard to say. That getting knocked down and getting back up is inescapable, it's reality, but your personal reactions to this are ... well, they're personal. Everyone will react differently. DH will rant and rage against the universe. He'll mope and sometimes strike out (never actually physically, but certainly on an emotional level at times). Me? I tend to shake myself off like a wet dog, and move to the next area, hoping the next experience will be positive instead of negative. 



Eventually many kids will go on to use actual returning
punching bags - on stands as they are young, or
hanging in gyms. they help arm development and
hand-eye coordination. They're also excellent to
work off a bit of steam on something non-breakable. 



Today's panic was neither negative nor positive, but it was a reminder that I need to do some planning and a bit of thought as well as scheduling. I'm going to make it work - it's what I do. Easy? Feh! Easy isn't what I usually do, but if I can succeed in this, easy is what it will look like at the end. On that note, I'm wrapping this up with photos of various roly-poly or returning toys and actions, because that's life. Have an excellent Tuesday and I'll return tomorrow with yet another roly-poly installment in my life. 




No comments: