Saturday, October 13, 2018

An Introduction To Your Local Black Hole Monster

I wanted to get started on my Holiday Cards yesterday (yes ... I'm REALLY late this year). Going through the box I had carefully put together last week and brought over to the shop, I realized I had packed the box with the wrong stuff and was still completely missing the main stamps and other important stuff. *sigh* I brought the incorrect stuff home last night and spent a bit of time retrieving some possibilities since I hadn't found the main focal yet. This morning, as I sat down at the computer, I looked to my right and there, just waiting to be found, was the focal. Duh! 



Pixies were always the more mischievous of the various
fey creatures. Not quite as industrious as Brownies, although
closely related, they weren't as flighty as Fairies. 



When I was a young girl, if things like the above had happened - i.e., something found in a spot where you know you had looked many times before - Mom said that the pixies had borrowed it. I always had a rather jaded attitude towards pixies from that saying - they caused me a lot of angst as well as hours of wasted labor looking for missing items. 



Want your own personal Black Hole rug? They are out there
in a variety of styles. This one is excellent! 



In later years a cousin introduced me to the Black Hole Monster and it's that which accompanies me to this day. The BHM operates in a manner similar to the pixies, but he doesn't eat items from spite, rather from hunger. BHM's need to be fed, like any other critter. They lurk, and generally they're quite benign, but every once in a while they get hungry. They don't eat food in quite the same way as we do - their stomachs have limited capacity and they don't actually digest their food. They eat a single item, and when something more interesting catches their eye, they'll often spit up the first item and replace it with the second. 



In the mood to really blow your mind? This
black hole carpeting is from a video game
store in Paris. The floor is flat and uncurved, but
the eyes say it should be a very up and down
experience for walking. 



BHM's come into play when you've looked high and low for an item - your eyeglasses, your favorite pin, a letter you needed to answer, or a bill you need to pay. BHM's have a varied diet and are completely open to eating new and different things. They also roam - they might be in the study for a while, but when you least expect it, you discover they've moved to the kitchen or the bedroom. That's when you suddenly find something you've been looking for for a few days, or a few weeks - sometimes even a year or two. Suddenly, there it is! Sitting in a place where you know you've looked many times before without success. But now it's there. 



How about a black hole with dimension? Here's one Black Hole
Monster showing off for you and for me. It looks hungry,
doesn't it? 



You have two choices then. Either grab up the item you've been fruitlessly searching for and be happy, or grab the item up and be really cranky because you know that to recover the one, you've now lost something else you'll seek in the future. I generally tend to be happy. We all own too many things in our lives (at least most of us do) and realistically can stand to lose a few. Having my stamp for my holiday cards suddenly show up after more than three weeks of searching, sitting right next to where I work on my computer every day ... that's totally on my BHM. 



Have hardwood floors? That won't stop a determined Black Hole
Monster. Here, it's disguised as a Black Hole decal and it
opens up the greater universe to us all. 



I'm putting a call out to my local BHM, though. I'd really like my engagement ring back one of these days. 

On that note, have a wonderful weekend and I'll be back on Monday. We're supposedly supposed to have a quick flash of warmer weather next week, but I'll believe it when I feel it. We've totally missed out on fall - the days were rainy and grey. We had great colors on the trees, but no blue sky to show them up in their glory. *sigh* Be safe, be loved, and watch out for your own, personal Black Hole Monster. 



No comments: